Modern Measure Announces New EP, Recorded At Historic Muscle Shoals Studio

first_imgThe sensational duo of Modern Measure are gearing up to release their newest EP! Due out on June 3rd, the new album titled Epicenter features all original music from the livetronica crew, who blend live production and instrumentation to create an enticing soundscape for all.There’s some serious history behind Epicenter, as it was recorded in the historic Muscle Shoals Studio. Now known as Cypress Moon Productions, the famed room has witnessed sessions from music royalty, as legends like Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, The Rolling Stones, Traffic, Elton John, Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, Bob Dylan and so many more have cut albums there.The new release will come out through 1320 Records, a label owned by STS9 and featuring artists like Emancipator, Big Gigantic, TAUK, Eliot Lipp, Future Rock and more. Epicenter looks to be a great new release, packed to the brim with fresh cuts from the ever-exciting Modern Measure. Comprised of drummer/producer Kyle Holly and producer/sampler/bassist/saxophonist Charlie Thornton, there’s just nothing these two can’t do when they work together.Speaking about the recording, Holly said, “We were so excited about recording in such a legendary place that so many incredible artists recorded in. The soul of the place was beyond inspiring.” The group announces their new EP in this fun video, which you can watch below:With production work from Justin Hasting of ZOOGMA on one track, Robbie Agee as Executive Producer for the album, and 647productions as mixing engineer, we can’t wait for to hear Epicenter.You can read more about Modern Measure on their website, and check out their scheduled tour dates below:April 29 Paradise Music Festival Pomeroy, OHJune 3 TBAJuly 22 SubOctave Music Festival Houston MNJuly 23 F.A.R.M Fest Hammonton, NJlast_img read more

Read more

Mauritius designates first woman president

first_imgAmeenah Gurib-Fakim is a renowned scientist and biologistThe government of Mauritius on Monday designated Ameenah Gurib-Fakim as the Indian Ocean island nation’s new president, making her the first woman to hold the ceremonial position.The appointment of Gurib-Fakim, an internationally-renowned scientist and biologist, is subject to parliament approval, due to take place on Thursday.The opposition has said it will support her appointment, making the vote a mere formality.Her inauguration is expected to take place on Friday, officials said. Gurib-Fakim, 56, will be the first female president of the island, which gained independence from Britain in 1968 and which replaced Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II as its head of state in 1992.Former president Kailash Purryag, who had been put in place by the previous government, stepped down as the island’s figurehead on Friday.Britam drops 2 directors linked to scam He had served as president since July 2012, when he was appointed by the island’s previous Labour party government of former premier Navin Ramgoolam.The previous government had fought the elections on a platform of delivering constitutional reform — notably with a divisive proposal to strengthen presidential powers.Ramgoolam himself had hoped to eventually run for the new, strengthened position. Since his election defeat Purryag has been seen as an unwanted figurehead, while Ramgoolam has been embroiled in corruption allegations that have shocked the country.Mauritius is one of the richest — and least corrupt — countries in Africa, a middle-income country of some 1.3 million people with a per capita GDP of just over $9,000 (7,200 euros).Once dependent on sugar exports, the island has built up a strong outsourcing and financial services sector, and an important tourism industrylast_img read more

Read more

Parents protest relocation of students in light of discovery of asbestos

first_imgParents of students attending the Christianburg/Wismar Secondary School (CWSS) in Linden on Monday protested the relocation of their children in light of allegations of an asbestos scare at the school.According to the protesting parents, a decision was taken to relocate the students to the Wisburg Secondary School following an “emergency” meeting between parents and officials attached to the Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) Department of Education last Friday.The parents, who stood outside the school along with their children, are holding out that they would not comply with the decision since they have not seen any evidence of the suspected asbestos inside the school.They noted, too, that they are against a decision for their children to attend school from 12:00h to 17:00h. Over 30 parents stood outside the school’s compound toSome of the parents protesting line on Mondayvent their frustration over the issue.At the scene, some parents were observed trying to prevent a vehicle from transporting school furniture to the Wisburg Secondary as a means of protest.“Nobody ain’t coming to show us no evidence of the asbestos…The timing, from 1 to 5 in the afternoon, 5 o’clock does done dark already… What will happen to these lil girl children? Even the boy children? They claiming the school got asbestos, but nobody ain’t coming to show us the evidence”, Dinah Skeete, a parent, noted.The parents are calling for the issue to receive urgent attention from the Education Ministry, as they alleged that even though there was some arrangement for buses to take the students to school, the specifics are unclear and they are uncertain of the arrangement.According to one of the parents, a lot of parents did not turn up to last Friday’s meeting since school sports were being kept, and officials should have called another meeting at the school on Monday to further update parents.Parents further noted that they were told by officials that the arrangement would be in place until January, 2019.Municipal Councillor Fern McKoy, who later arrived at the picket line, confirmed there was on Friday a meeting wherein it was noted that asbestos was in the school. However, she said the asbestos had been removed since 2001.“It cost millions of dollars to remove the asbestos from the school. I am so disappointed with the children (having to wait) out here, because they are being deprived of their education…they need to get an analyst to pinpoint the asbestos, because I’m a hundred percent sure that there is no asbestos in that school”, she noted.Efforts to contact the Regional Education Officer in relation to the issue on Monday proved futile. Other officials, when contacted, noted that they were not authorised to speak to the media.Shortly after, the Region 10 Administration declared that asbestos was discovered in the ceiling of the school prior to its reopening in August, but the Education Ministry had refuted the claims.Regional Chairman Renis Morian related that officials are aware that, in 2001 and 2002, a contract was handed out for the removal of asbestos from inside the school.However, he noted that it appeared as though some had been hidden, given the way asbestos had been placed.Nevertheless, the Education Ministry said an inquiry into the matter had revealed that the information was brought to the attention of the Regional Executive Officer of Region 10 on August 15, 2018.last_img read more

Read more