Community celebrates mass to remember loss of first-year students

first_imgGrace Doerfler | The Observer University President Fr. John Jenkins said mass Tuesday night in the stadium to remember first-year students Valeria Espinel and Olivia Laura Rojas.Espinel, originally from Guayaquil, Ecuador, lived in Badin Hall and planned to study economics. Rojas, from Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia, lived in Cavanaugh Hall. She intended to study in the Mendoza College of Business.The community also held in prayer sophomore Eduardo Jose Elias Calderon, who was injured in the crash and remains hospitalized.Family members and friends of Espinel and Rojas traveled to Notre Dame and attended the mass. Others attended from Bolivia, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic through a live stream of the service.Vice president for student affairs Erin Hoffmann Harding welcomed the community to the memorial service.“We are grateful for your presence as we gather to pray for the eternal rest of two members of the class of 2024,” she said. “We believe that God is holding them gently and in immeasurable love.”University President Fr. John Jenkins presided at the mass, first thanking the families of the two students for traveling to campus. The mass began somberly as Jenkins reflected on the tragedy that occurred Saturday morning.“Olivia and Valeria were with us for too short a time,” he said. “But I’ve heard from their friends, their teachers and their families that they embraced Notre Dame and made it their home. We now gather to remember and pray for these two friends, students, classmates and family members who have been taken from us so suddenly, so soon.”Director of Campus Ministry Fr. Pete McCormick delivered the homily at the service. He acknowledged the tragedy that had shaken the community, noting “the hardship that comes from losing two members of our Notre Dame family to an untimely death.”McCormick’s homily focused on honoring how Espinel and Rojas deeply valued friendship and family. He read from papers each student had written earlier in the semester about how to live a good life and celebrated the friendship between the two young women.“To think that this relationship was somehow simply limited between Valeria and Olivia would be a big mistake,” McCormick said. “Together they built upon each other’s strengths to create a network of great friends and meaningful relationships.”McCormick said sorrow is appropriate in response to these students’ deaths, but he invited the congregation to trust in God’s mercy.“We commend these two sisters of ours to a God who makes all things new — grateful for their lives, thankful for the ways that God has worked through them to give us a clear sense of heaven itself,” he said. “We now commend our sisters to eternal rest.”The mass included a mix of Spanish and English, including music in Spanish provided by Coro Primavera, the University’s Spanish-language choir. The rectors of Cavanaugh Hall and Badin Hall, Jo Cecilio and Sr. Susan Sisko, respectively, offered bilingual prayers of the faithful. Grace Doerfler | The Observer To remember the light of Espinel and Rojas, those gathered in the congregation turned on their flashlights on their phones.At the mass’ conclusion, McCormick asked all those gathered to turn on their phone flashlights “as a way of reflecting back the light that Valeria and Olivia have shown to us.” As lights illuminated the stadium, McCormick addressed the two students’ families.“Family members, we have been blessed to walk among the lights of your two daughters,” he said. “Know that while this day may pass and memories of this particular moment may fade, know that your daughters will walk with us and our community forever.”Tags: Campus Ministry, Mass of Remembrance, Notre Dame Stadium, University President Fr. John Jenkins Thousands of members of the Notre Dame community gathered Tuesday night to remember first-year students Valeria Espinel and Olivia Laura Rojas in a mass held in Notre Dame Stadium. Both students passed away early Saturday morning after being hit by a car.last_img read more

Read more

Guyana/Brazil celebrate 50 years of bilateral relations

first_img…commemorative stamp launchedA commemorative stamp was on Friday launched at the Foreign Affairs Ministry’s South Road, Georgetown office as Guyana celebrated 50 years of bilateral relations with Brazil. In attendance at the event were subject Minister Carl Greenidge, Telecommunications Minister Catherine Hughes, Deputy Head of Mission of the Brazilian Embassy Paulo Silos, and several others.The stamp will also be launched in Brazil on October 26, although it is currently available in two denominations at the cost of some $200 and $80 locally.Greenidge reminded that Guyana established formal relations with the neighbouring country on August 26, 1986, and the two countries have since closely collaborated in the areas of education, health and technical cooperation, among other areas.Greenidge said, “Over the subsequent 50 years (since establishment of relations), our two countries have solidified relations through close collaboration… These matters are being pursued, (and) continue to be pursued under the variety of mechanisms that were established over the years”.He added that, in recent years, the two countries have intensified their bilateral relations through a series of “high level encounters”.The Deputy Head of Mission of the Brazilian Embassy, Paulo Silos, endorsed Minister Greenidge’s statement and added that the stamp has a powerful message attached, as it is available to all.“A stamp is not just a tiny stamp or a strip of paper. We should not be fooled by small size, as it portrays its true importance and significance. The stamp, in many ways, is better than the visible monument, because a monument is erected in one place, a stamp however has its own powerful impact, as it is not restricted spatially,” he said.Telecommunications Minister Catherine Hughes told the gathering that the stamp is a testimony of the good relations existing between the two countries. “Today’s official launching of the commemorative stamp is one more symbol of the good, strong, neighbourly relations between the Federative Republic of Brazil and the Cooperative Republic of Guyana,” she noted.This stamp happens to be third one produced in recent years to celebrate bilateral relations with Brazil. The first one was launched in 2003 to observe the countries’ 35 years of partnership; the second was produced in 2009 to mark the official commissioning of the Takutu Bridge, which links Guyana and Brazil.Also released on Friday was a 15-minute documentary on the two countries, which captures various aspects of the two nations.In observance of the 50-year-long relationship, a safari will be heading to Brazil next month. This happens to be the first time that the South Rupununi Safari, organised by Rainforest Tours, will be leaving the country.last_img read more

Read more

Pochettino faces acid test after Spurs’ transfer woes

first_img0Shares0000Mauricio Pochettino is confident despite Tottenham’s lack of transfer action © AFP / Ian KINGTONNEWCASTLE, United Kingdom, Aug 10 – Mauricio Pochettino insists he is not unhappy at Tottenham’s inaction during the transfer window, but the true test of his club’s decision not to make a single signing will come as the new Premier League season unfolds.The north London club have often done things differently when it comes to buying and selling players, with chairman Daniel Levy earning a reputation as a hard negotiator who is unafraid to leave things until late in the day. This time, however, Thursday’s transfer deadline passed without any additions being made by Tottenham — the first time a Premier League club has failed to sign at least one new player during the summer window.Now Tottenham boss Pochettino will be expected to build on last season’s performances with the same group of players that took the club to a third placed finish.Saturday’s visit to Newcastle for their opening game will therefore offer few surprises, although Pochettino must decide which of the nine players who appeared in the World Cup semi-finals are ready to return to action.But anything less than a convincing victory will stir debate about Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy’s failure to deliver new players for his manager at the start of a campaign that will see the club move into the rebuilt White Hart Lane stadium after a year at Wembley.Speaking ahead of the trip to St James’ Park, Pochettino maintained he was not overly concerned at the inaction.“Of course, it’s difficult to understand for people that Tottenham didn’t sign or sell players, but sometimes in football you need to behave differently,” he said.“If we are happy with our squad and cannot improve our squad, sometimes it’s better to keep our squad together.“We believe a lot in our players and why not repeat a similar season like last year or the season before, and with more experience? We are going to be better – no doubt about that.”– Fallen short –Pochettino’s belief is strengthened by Tottenham’s success in persuading a number of key players, including England striker Harry Kane — the World Cup golden boot winner — to sign new contracts.But Spurs have fallen short in the Premier League title race in each of the last two seasons, building a belief among fans that the squad need more depth if they are to win major silverware.And the failure to conclude a deal for Jack Grealish after a series of offers for the Aston Villa midfielder were rejected by the Championship club did little to win over supporters concerned at the lack of signings.Certainly, Spurs cannot afford a repeat of the sluggish start that marred the opening weeks of last season if they are to challenge champions Manchester City and a Liverpool side that, by stark contrast, will feature £160 million of new signings this term.Twelve months ago the fixture list also delivered an opening day trip to Newcastle that was negotiated successfully thanks to goals from Dele Alli and Ben Davies.But a return of just two points from their opening three home games meant Tottenham were playing catch-up virtually from the off.A similar result at Newcastle will provide the perfect response to the questions raised in recent days, yet whatever the outcome, Tottenham’s approach to the recent transfer window will continue to be placed under close scrutiny.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read more

Kevin De Bruyne could make return against Liverpool, hints Man City boss

first_imgCity, who are level on 19 points with Liverpool at the league summit, have been without De Bruyne since August after he suffered knee ligament damage in training.But the Belgium playmaker returned to first-team training this week after his lay-off.It was expected he would return to action after the international break, having been left out of the Belgium squad.But Guardiola has now hinted he could feature against the Reds.Asked if De Bruyne would be in the squad at Anfield, Guardiola said: “He is training with us, yeah.“He played today. We will see tomorrow.“Everybody’s ok. Delph is not available, but the others are ok.” Kevin De Bruyne could make his return from injury in Manchester City’s top-of-the-table Premier League clash at Liverpool, manager Pep Guardiola has teased.Benjamin Mendy could also be in line to make his comeback after missing five games with a metatarsal problem.The title rivals will go head-to-head at Anfield on Sunday. Kevin De Bruyne could make an unexpected return from injury against Liverpool 1 [email protected] and @benmendy23 are in the frame to feature on Sunday! 🔵 #lfcvcity #mancity Presented by @marathonbet pic.twitter.com/aRT1Gw4Y6y— Manchester City (@ManCity) October 5, 2018Guardiola also said full-back Mendy “came back to train” and was also in contention, but Ilkay Gundogan is a doubt after a knock in midweek and Fabian Delph is still sidelined.The Manchester City manager is aware of the challenge Liverpool pose, added: “Liverpool are a top side. They are one of the two greatest teams in England. They have a lot of weapons.”last_img read more

Read more