Former Arsenal and Sevilla player Reyes dies in car accident

first_imgMADRID, Spain (Reuters) – Former Sevilla and Arsenal winger Jose Antonio Reyes has died in a traffic accident, aged 35, several of his former clubs said yesterday.“We couldn’t be announcing any worse news. Our beloved former youth player Jose Antonio Reyes has died in a traffic accident. Rest in peace,” said a statement on Sevilla’s official Twitter account.Reyes was under contract at Spanish second tier side Extremadura. Seven second-tier games, due to be played today, including Extremadura’s match against Cadiz, were postponed until Tuesday. Reyes’ last match was a 1-0 win at Alcorcon on May 18. “With a shrunken soul and a broken heart Extremadura reports the death of our player Jose Antonio Reyes in a traffic accident. We ask everyone to pray for his soul,” said a club statement.The left winger also played for Arsenal, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid among other sides and made 21 appearances for the Spain national team.Spanish media said the accident occurred at 11:40hrs (0940 GMT) yesterday morning on the road connecting his home city of Utrera and Seville. Sevilla’s statement said his cousin Jonathan Reyes also died in the accident. Reyes made his professional debut with Sevilla at the age of 16, moving to Arsenal in January 2004 for £17M and was part of the famous ‘Invincibles’ who won the Premier League that season without losing a game.“Jose, who was part of the Invincibles team, was a hugely popular figure at our club and will always hold a special place in our hearts. Our thoughts are with all his family, friends and team-mates,” said Arsenal on Twitter. He joined Real Madrid on loan in the 2006/07 season, winning the La Liga title and later joined neighbours Atletico before returning to boyhood club Sevilla in 2012, going on to lift three consecutive Europa League titles between 2014 and 2016.He later played for Espanyol then Chinese club Xinjiang Tianshan Leopard before returning to Spain to join Extremadura in January. Spain captain Sergio Ramos, a former team mate of Reyes at Sevilla said on social media “I’m broken, destroyed, I have no words. All my love to his family. We’ll always remember him. Rest in peace, brother.”Reyes’ death comes 12 years after Sevilla left back Antonio Puerta died from a heart attack during a match.The club’s sporting director Monchi added: “It’s impossible to believe this news, it’s impossible to take in, how cruel. Rest in peace Jose Antonio Reyes … what a left wing you and Antonio are going to form up there in heaven.” Governing body UEFA and the Spanish soccer federation also issued their condolences.last_img read more

Read more

DONEGAL TRUCK BOSS PROMISES MORE PROTESTS IF NEW GOVERNMENT DOESN’T ACT

first_imgThe organiser of a massive truck protest which converged on Dail Eireann today has revealed he has secured a meeting with the new Minister for Transport.But Donegal businessman John McLaughlin warned that if polticians don’t keep their promise, he will bring the country to a standstill with another huge truck protest.The Covoy-based haulier, of JML Transport, today handed in a letter of protest at Leinster House complaining about the recent hike in fuel costs. Gardai appealed to protestors not to bring Dublin to a standstill and an agreement was reached to allow just 15 vehicles into the city centre.Mr McLaughlin earlier led a fleet of trucks into the city centre after travelling from Donegal on Monday and picking up almost 100 vehicles along the way.They were also joined by two coach-loads of people from across Donegal who travelled up earlier this morning.Now the Donegal businessman has revealed he has been promised a meeting by Fine Gael if, as expected, they win the upcoming general election. However Mr McLaughlin, whose workforce has been depleted from a workforce of 78 to just 8 within two years, has promised strong action if he does not secure that meeting with the Government.“We have behaved ourselves all along and done everything by the book and co-operate with the Gardai.“We are hopeful that we can get that meeting with the new Government and we have to take people on their word on that.“But I can tell you that if we do not get that meeting within three weeks then we will bring this country to a standstill with a massive truck protest.“That is not a threat but we have to follow through with this and show the new Government that we mean business. “This does not just involve the transport companies because the ordinary person on the street is having to pay up to €20 a week just to run their car and they simply can’t afford that,” he said.EndsDONEGAL TRUCK BOSS PROMISES MORE PROTESTS IF NEW GOVERNMENT DOESN’T ACT was last modified: February 23rd, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read more