Ocean City Prepares for Next Round of Beach Replenishment in South End…

first_imgBulldozers distribute sand across the beach at 42nd Street last April.By Donald WittkowskiCenturies ago, China built its Great Wall to protect its borders from invaders. Ocean City is building its own great wall of sorts — a long, sandy barrier designed to protect the island community from the ravages of storm-tossed seas. A flurry of activity is expected to begin in March on a beach replenishment project in the south end of town that is a centerpiece of citywide coastal fortifications, including the dunes. “When they’re done, we’ll have a complete line of dunes from north to south protecting the properties. And we’ll have wide and healthy beaches from tip to tip for perhaps the first time since the island was developed,” Mayor Jay Gillian said in his annual State of the City address on Feb. 11. Replenished beaches in the south end will complement a similar project in the north end that was completed in late December. In the north end, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers pumped nearly 1 million cubic yards of sand onto the beaches between the northernmost jetty at Seaspray Road and 12th Street. The project included 40,000 cubic yards of sand to restore the dunes. Some tapering work was also done to connect the rebuilt beach to the existing beach at 13th Street, according to a city summary of the project. Ocean City’s share of the $12.3 million north end project was about $1.1 million, with federal and state funds covering the rest of the cost. The project was part of a 50-year agreement that calls for a regular three-year cycle of beach replenishment, city spokesman Doug Bergen said. Now, the same Army Corps of Engineers contractor that did the work in the north end is expected to return to Ocean City in March to oversee another round of replenishment for the south end beaches. Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Co. will restore about 323,000 cubic yards of sand washed away during a nor’easter in October 2015. The October storm struck just after the contractor had replenished the south end beaches between 37th Street and 59th Street as part of efforts to rebuild the coastlines of Ocean City, Strathmere and Sea Isle City following Hurricane Sandy in 2012. That project pumped about 1.6 million cubic yards of new sand onto Ocean City’s depleted southern beaches, which had been so badly flattened by Sandy that the Ocean met the bay. Altogether, an extra 1 million cubic yards of sand will be added to Ocean City, Strathmere and Sea Isle City to replace what was swept away in the October storm. The $15.8 million price tag will be paid entirely by the federal government under the post-Sandy replenishment program. “Because the dredge (contractor) was still on hand, the federal government agreed to go back and redo the sand that was lost at the south end, Strathmere and Sea Isle,” Bergen said. The contractor is currently in Strathmere and will head to Sea Isle City next before arriving in Ocean City sometime in March. Completion is scheduled by Memorial Day, just in time for the start of the peak summer tourist season, according to Bergen. Gillian is expected to meet with representatives of the Army Corps of Engineers on Wednesday to discuss the south end’s replenishment. However, the mayor told City Council after he delivered his State of the City address that he also plans to lobby for more replenishment work in the north end. There is no indication yet whether the Army Corps intends to do that, Bergen said.last_img read more

Read more

James Franco, Leighton Meester & Chris O’Dowd on Why B’way Is Like Sex

first_img Leighton Meester “We’re going to be together for a long time, and opening night is the first time we all sleep together, and the [rehearsal] process is the courting,” he explained at a March 6 press conference for the new revival. When director Anna D. Shapiro joked that “some of us have already been sleeping together,” O’Dowd added, “I meant collectively. As an art project that James is working on.” As the cast cracked up, Franco laughed loudest of all. Related Shows Franco, who is also a writer, director, screenwriter, producer and teacher, isn’t nervous about adding “Broadway star” to his resume. “I would say [I’m not scared], but—” O’Dowd quickly interrupted his co-star with a joke: “I feel like he should be,” he deadpanned. Franco continued, “I flirted and thought about the idea of Broadway for a long time now, but as a film actor, the commitment is always something that is scary. Having to do one character for so long, and the fear of making my debut and wanting to make a splash.” View Comments Although Meester admitted she’s feeling “pretty scared,” she knows she’s in the best possible hands. “When I meditate on it, I’m like, ‘Oh my God,’ it’s too much to handle in one thought,” she said, smiling at her co-stars. “But when we’re here and taking it scene by scene and I’m with everyone in the moment, it feels so good. I feel safe.” Oscar nominee James Franco, Gossip Girl queen bee Leighton Meester and Bridesmaids funny guy Chris O’Dowd are gearing up to make their Broadway debuts in Of Mice and Men on March 19—or as O’Dowd likes to think of it, losing their Broadway virginity. With the starry trio in high demand for Hollywood projects, why is now the time to uh, lose their Broadway virginity? “If you asked me to do Cats, I would have done Cats,” O’Dowd said. “Which I’m still open to!” Franco, who described himself as a theater fan, explained, “This was the play I was waiting for. This is it! It’s an awesome role with the best director and if I don’t do this, then I’m never going to do it.” Meester, meanwhile, believes fate drew her to star in the John Steinbeck play. “It kind of chose me,” she said. “I can’t believe how cosmic and amazing it is.” James Franco Star Files Show Closed This production ended its run on July 27, 2014 Of Mice and Men Chris O’Dowdlast_img read more

Read more

Former Minnesota credit union CEO charged with $2.5 million fraud

first_imgMore than five years after the financial collapse of a Minnesota credit union, its former president/CEO will appear in federal court to face allegations that she stole at least $2.5 million.Margurite Mary Cofell will be arraigned on a credit union fraud felony charge in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis on March 28.The FBI launched its investigation in January 2014, about three weeks before the Minnesota Department of Commerce closed the $51 million St. Francis Campus Credit Union in Little Falls on Feb. 14 and appointed the NCUA receiver and liquidating agent.However, the fraud was not publicly exposed until January 2016 when the NCUA sued CUMIS over its controversial decision not to pay the federal agency’s fidelity bond claim. The NCUA filed a proof of loss with CUMIS for $3,086,755. CUMIS rescinded the fidelity bond agreement because Cofell lied on its application to extend the employee dishonesty coverage from $2.25 million to $2.75 million in April 2013. This lawsuit is pending in federal court. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading »last_img read more

Read more

Ellsworth swimmers claim big honors at MISL awards banquet

first_imgAUGUSTA — Members of the Ellsworth swim team claimed major honors Sunday at the Maine Interscholastic Swim League banquet at the Augusta Civic Center.Ellsworth senior Caitlin MacPherson was named Penobscot Valley Conference Girls’ Swimmer of the Year. MacPherson captained an Ellsworth girls’ team that placed fourth at the state championship meet to notch its best-ever result.MacPherson was previously selected as Swimmer of the Meet at the PVC championships Feb. 8 at the University of Maine. She won the conference title in the 200-yard freestyle and placed second in the 500-yard freestyle and as a member of Ellsworth’s 200-yard freestyle relay team.Sophomore Elena Springer was chosen as PVC Diver of the Year. Springer earned a second-place finish in the PVC championships and placed fourth in the state championships Feb. 17 at Bowdoin College.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textKristy Barry, Sean Hill and Nick Partridge received All-State selections, awarded to the state’s best swimmers regardless of classification. Hill (100 and 200 freestyles and 400 freestyle relay) and Partridge (100-yard breaststroke and 200-yard medley relay) earned multiple All-State honors, and Barry was selected in the 100-yard breaststroke.last_img read more

Read more

Kiwi openers stand firm after Labuschagne’s 215

first_imgBy Nick MulvenneySYDNEY, Australia (Reuters) – Marnus Labuschagne scored a maiden double-century to drive Australia to 454 all out before New Zealand’s openers resisted the home attack to post 63 without loss on the second day of the third Test yesterday.Tom Latham, standing in as captain for the sick Kane Williamson, had made 26 not out at the close of play with Tom Blundell unbeaten on 34 but the tourists know they still have a mountain to climb if they are to avoid a 3-0 series sweep.Labuschagne is a large part of the reason for that and a hot, sunny day at the Sydney Cricket Ground belonged to the irrepressible 25-year-old, who has enjoyed a golden summer in Australia’s home season. He had a nervous 20 minutes, one run short of the double-century mark but his 19th four got him over the line and earned him a standing ovation from the crowd.He finally departed for 215, caught and bowled by spinner Todd Astle and left the field to another huge ovation having scored 837 runs at an average of 119.57 in five home Tests this season. Labuschagne faced 363 deliveries in a magnificent innings that looked to have set Australia well on their way to another victory to add to the thumping wins they enjoyed in Perth and Melbourne.“It was a good day personally but more importantly a good day for Australia,” Labuschagne said. “They fought back, as you would expect, but we’ll do the toil and hopefully get the win.” New Zealand made short work of the tail after Labuschagne’s exit to dismiss the hosts and bring up tea before their openers headed back out to face Australia’s in-form pacemen.The Black Caps have accumulated only one score in excess of 200 runs in their previous four innings in the series but Latham and Blundell saw off the attack and scrapped their way to stumps. “It was nice to turn up and show that fight today,” said Astle. “It’s gonna be a tough ask but that’s what this group’s about. We’ll keep grinding away.”There had been concerns that soaring temperatures forecast for yesterday might have worsened the bushfire emergency around Australia and the blanket of acrid smoke that had covered Sydney on several occasions in recent weeks might return.Labuschagne, however, resumed his innings on 130 under blue skies and was soon passing 150 for the third time in his last seven innings. With Australia utterly dominating all five home matches this year, their fans have had precious little drama to enjoy so it was perhaps understandable that they made the most of Labuschagne’s progress through the 190s.“Being in the 190s is a bit different to being in the 90s, you’re just trying to avoid doing something stupid,” Labuschagne added. The crowd were kept waiting for four overs with Labuschagne stuck on 199 and there were good-hearted boos for captain Tim Paine when he scored a single off the final ball of one to keep the strike for the next.New Zealand pulled in the field to deny him the single and it worked for seven deliveries until he swiped at a Colin de Grandhomme delivery and got a thick edge that sent the ball racing to the boundary.AUSTRALIA 1st innings o/n 283-3David Warner c Colin de Grandhomme b Neil Wagner 45Joe Burns c Ross Taylor b Colin de Grandhomme 18Marnus Labuschagne c & b Todd Astle 215Steven Smith c Ross Taylor b Colin de Grandhomme 63Matthew Wade b William Somerville 22Travis Head c BJ Watling b Matt Henry 10Tim Paine b Colin de Grandhomme 35James Pattinson b Neil Wagner 2Pat Cummins c Glenn Phillips b Todd Astle 8Mitchell Starc b Neil Wagner 22Nathan Lyon not out 6Extras: (lb-6, nb-1, w-1) 8Total: (all out, 150.1 overs) 454Fall of wickets: 1-39, 2-95, 3-251, 4-288, 5-331, 6-410, 7-416, 8-426, 9-430.Bowling: Matt Henry 32-3-94-1 (w-1), Colin de Grandhomme 24-1-78-3 (nb-1), Neil Wagner 33.1-9- 66-3, William Somerville 29-2-99-1, Todd Astle 32-0-111-2.NEW ZEALND 1st inningsTom Latham not out 26Tom Blundell not out 34Extras: (b-1, lb-2) 3Total: (29.0 overs) 63-0Bowling: Mitchell Starc 7-0 18-0, Pat Cummins 9-3-18-0, James Pattinson 4-1-0- 0, Nathan Lyon 8- 3-13- 0, Marnus Labuschagne 1-0-1-0.last_img read more

Read more

Trojans look to rebound against Long Beach State

first_imgThe men’s volleyball team hit its first roadblock last week with a tough loss at the hands of the Pepperdine Waves. Still, there’s plenty of optimism around the program going forward this season. The Trojans will get a chance to rebound against Long Beach State today in what should be another highly contested Mountain Pacific Sports Federation conference matchup.Stepping up · Freshman Lucas Yoder has 66 kills to lead the Trojans. Yoder has started all four games for the team this year. – Ralf Cheung | Daily TrojanThe Trojans (3-1, 2-1 MPSF) came into the Galen Center last Thursday night, Jan. 16, looking to stay unbeaten in the early season after wins over Loyola-Chicago, UC San Diego and UC Irvine. The Trojans, however fell to the Waves (3-0, 3-0) in four sets by a score of 26-28, 25-22, 25-22, 26-24.“I was disappointed by the result,” starting junior setter Micah Christenson said. “But I’m still feeling good about the season moving forward.”“I’m happy that it’s still early in the season,” Christenson said after the game. “We have a lot of things to get better at but we also have a lot of positives to take from this match. Pepperdine’s a very good team, very well-coached and hats off to them. They dug the ball and blocked the ball very well tonight.”USC head coach Bill Ferguson added to Christenson’s points.“The team did not look as good as it usually does defensively,” Ferguson said. “We definitely weren’t at our best.”Ferguson also praised his opponent’s play. “Pepperdine was playing great,” the eighth-year coach said. “There were just too many defensive plays that we normally make that we didn’t make tonight. Digs, balls that are hit near us that we get all the time and we just weren’t there.”He added that the team didn’t react very well after losing big points.“We left a lot of points out on the court,” Ferguson said. “I thought we got out of sorts a little bit and we had some plays we normally make that just wasn’t happening for us and I think we were letting that get to us. I think we got too frustrated. If we would lose a big point we would get frustrated rather than move on to the next play and it’s a good learning experience for us. We have that experience and we can learn from it, and that’s the cool thing.”Christenson agreed that given the experience Pepperdine has over the Trojans, a relatively young team with several freshmen cracking the starting roster, it might some time before USC reaches its full potential.“They’ve had that core for three years, so they don’t have any time lost getting to know each other,” he said. “We are a new team and it’s very positive that we’re scaring good teams and beating good teams with the short amount of time that we’ve had to learn each other.”Christenson had 50 assists on the night as well as two service aces. Senior libero Henry Cassiday led the team with 21 digs. Freshman outside hitter Lucas Yoder led the team with 16 kills along with nine errors, junior middle blocker Robert Feathers had 10 kills and three errors and freshman middle blocker Andy Benesh had nine kills with one error.Even though redshirt senior Maddison McKibbin has gotten most of the starts at opposite this year, junior Cristian Rivera got the starting nod there and McKibbin spelled him later in the match. Yoder started along with sophomore Alex Slaught on the outside, though redshirt freshman Christopher Orenic substituted in for Slaught late in the match. McKibbin finished with three kills and an error, Rivera had seven kills and seven errors, Slaught had six kills and five errors, while Orenic had three kills with two errors.“We have a ton of depth,” Ferguson said, who at times will stick with his starting lineup for the entire game but used much more of the bench against Pepperdine. “We’re going to use that depth to our advantage.”In addition to the tough early competition, Ferguson said the team’s travel schedule has been relatively hectic early on in the season but that the team should get into more of a normal routine as the year goes on. The Trojans began their season with a road trip two weeks ago to Chicago to play Loyola-Chicago, then hosted UC Irvine last Tuesday before the Pepperdine game last Thursday. After today’s game against Long Beach State, the team travels to Cal State Northridge on Friday.“We’re back to a bit of a normal schedule for us where we’re either Wednesday/Friday or Thursday/Saturday and I think that’ll help us,” he said. “We get a couple of days off, we’ve had a funky schedule with a Tuesday game and coming back from Chicago on a Monday the previous week so now we’re back to normal.”Ferguson said that today’s game should be another competitive conference match, particularly in the middle of the court where Long Beach State likes to attack from. The Trojans sit at fourth in the nation, while Long Beach State (3-2, 2-2) is ranked fifth in the American Volleyball Coaches Association poll released Monday. Pepperdine jumped to the top spot in the poll after its win against USC.“They’re very outside hitter-oriented,” Ferguson said. “Their middles hit right next to the setter and they always have a hitter coming over the middle. It’s a back row outside hitter coming down the middle. Taylor Crabb was the National Player of the Year last year and he’s one of those outside hitters. Dalton Ammerman is their other outside and they really make things go.”The Trojans will face Long Beach State tonight at 7 p.m.last_img read more

Read more