Answers needed after public radio programme pulled in suspicious manner

first_img to go further Organisation Reporters Without Borders is very concerned about alleged political interference at Portugal’s main public radio station, Antena 1, which suddenly scrapped a morning current affairs programme called Este Tempo and terminated the contracts of five of the programme’s commentators just days after one of them, Pedro Rosa Mendes, was very critical of the government on the air.“If confirmed, these actions are absolutely unacceptable,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This case highlights the urgency of the need to overhaul the method of appointing those who run the public broadcast media in Portugal and several other European Union member states, so that media independence is guaranteed. “Portugal’s state broadcaster, Rádio Televisão Portuguesa (RTP), must explain itself because questions need answering. If the decision to drop this programme had been taken ‘some time ago,’ as claimed, why did it wait to tell the commentators until the last week of their contracts? And what were the editorial grounds for this decision, because so far none has been given?”Neither RTP’s director-general nor his press office responded to Reporters Without Borders’ request for a comment.It was on 23 January that Antena 1’s news director told Este Tempo’s five commentators that their contracts would not be renewed at the end of the month and that the programme would cease to be broadcast from 30 January onwards.Mendes believes these decisions were the direct result of his 18 January commentary criticizing a special broadcast by the state TV channel RTP1 two days earlier from the Angolan capital, Luanda, in which Portugal’s parliamentary affairs minister, Miguel Relvas, also the minister in charge of the state broadcast media, took part. The broadcast, about relations between Portugal and Angola, was widely criticized as a “piece of propaganda” on behalf of Angola’s authoritarian government.RTP director-general Luís Marinho told the national media he took responsibility for the decision to scrap Este Tempo, which he said was taken “some time ago.” The decision nonetheless took all of its reporters and producers by surprise. Raquel Freire, a filmmaker who delivered a commentary every Tuesday, only learned on the eve of her last commentary.Mendes has told journalists that one of Antena 1’s news director’s told him the programme had been pulled in response to a direct request from the RTP administration, which is appointed by the government. “Luís Marinho explicitly told two Antena 1 directors that the 18 January commentary on Angola had not pleased the government and that this opinion slot was going to be eliminated.”Mendes told Reporters Without Borders that, when members of the Antena 1 administration contacted him about a technical issue regarding his contract on 20 January – two days after the broadcast of his commentary but before the announcement of the programme’s demise – they said nothing about his contract being terminated. Until then, their contracts had been renewed almost automatically every six months for the previous two years.“Doesn’t his prove that Antena 1’s decision was taken after 20 January, rather than before? “ Reporters Without Borders asked.The opposition in parliament has been pressing for an explanation from Relvas, the parliamentary affairs minister. The Media Regulatory Body meanwhile yesterday questioned Antena 1 programmes chief Rui Pêgo, news director João Barreiros and deputy news director Ricardo Alexandre (who was responsible for the morning slot).Alexandre announced today that he was relinquishing his responsibility for the morning slot. When reached by Reporters Without Borders, he refused to say why. The press freedom organisation will continue to follow this case closely.Portugal is ranked 33rd out of 179 countries in the latest Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. December 2, 2020 Find out more PortugalEurope – Central Asia June 2, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Portugal Receive email alerts RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive PortugalEurope – Central Asia Ten RSF recommendations for the European Unioncenter_img Help by sharing this information February 1, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Answers needed after public radio programme pulled in suspicious manner News News News RSF_en Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU News November 23, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read more

Sumner County Court Docket: Oct. 15, 2014 report

first_imgby Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — The following are a list of criminal court complaints recently filed by the Sumner County Attorney’s office.These are formal charges introduced into the Sumner County District Court system. The suspects listed in the complaint have not been tried by a judge or jury unless specified otherwise. All citizens are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.•••••Jerry Muller, Jr., born in 1979, of Wichita was charged with conspiracy to commit burglary of a dwelling, a level 9 felony; burglary of a dwelling, a level 7 felony; and theft, a level 9 felony.Muller is accused on April 9, 2012 of burglarizing a residence at 1410 N. Brown Arrow Road in Peck.Allegedly he received a text message from an male telling him he had the owner of the property out of his house so Muller would know the house was empty and could burglarize it. He and the other male allegedly entered the residence and stole a pearl handled revolver, 42-inch Vizeo Flat Screen TV, a knife collection, computers, pills and other items which were stored in a AAA storage bin at 530 E. McArthur in Wichita which he rented. He allegedly transported the stolen items using his car.His court deposition is set for Nov. 6, 2014 at 9 a.m.•••••Randy Copeland, born in 1976, of Clearwater was charged with domestic battery, a Class B misdemeanor; disorderly conduct, a Class C misdemeanor; and Criminal Trespass, a Class B misdemeanor.Copeland is accused on Sept. 25, 2014 of angrily pushing his girlfriend down to the ground during an argument. He allegedly used abusive language and pushed down his own motorcycle to emphasize how mad he was. This allegedly alarmed a household member to the degree that she got a knife to protect herself and locked herself in the bathroom.Copeland was allegedly asked to leave by the owner but refused to do so.•••••Joshua Adams, born in 1978, of Arkansas City was charged with driving without headlights, a traffic infraction; failure to stop at stop sign, a traffic infraction; driving while suspended, a Class B misdemeanor; failure to provide proof of insurance, a Class B misdemeanor; expired registration, a misdemeanor; and two counts of possession of drug paraphernalia, a Class A misdemeanor.Adams is accused on Sept. 25 of driving with no lights at the intersection of Clark and Ohio Street in Oxford and not stopping at a stop sign. When he was stopped it was allegedly discovered his license was suspended, no insurance and he had a syringe and methamphetamine glass smoking pipe.•••••Zachary Niceley, born in 1995, of Oxford was charged with domestic battery, a Class B misdemeanor; disorderly conduct, a Class C misdemeanor; and consumption of alcohol by a minor, a Class C misdemeanor.Niceley is accused on Sep. 10 of angrily kicking and head butting his girlfriend and consuming four beers in his home when it was not legal for him to do so prior to the altercation.His court deposition is set for Oct. 16.•••••Amber Rae Darby, born in 1979, of Oxford was charged with obstructing apprehension or persecution, a level 8 felony; and interference with law enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor.Darby is accused on Aug. 30, 2014 of knowingly concealing Naaman Darby, who has been charged with burglary and felony theft, and did so knowing he had an outstanding arrest warrant.She also allegedly was protecting Naaman Darby at her home and told the law enforcement officer he was not home, when in reality he was at her home. He was not supposed to be there because of a protective order where Amber was the victim.•••••Dillon Lowe, born in 1995, of Wellington, was charged with possession of marijuana, a Class A misdemeanor; and possession of drug paraphernalia, a Class A misdemeanor.Lowe is accused on Sept. 29, of having a baggy of marijuana and a glass marijuana pipe in his pocket .•••••Brandon Golightly, born in 1994, of Belle Plaine was charged with two counts of battery, a Class B misdemeanor; and disorderly conduct, a Class C misdemeanor.Golightly is accused on Sept. 29 of wrestling around with a woman and holding her down in a playful manner. But when she was getting up she accidentally kicked him and he allegedly responded by angrily hitting her in the left knee causing pain.When the girls tried to leave he allegedly slammed the door on her cutting her hand. He allegedly slammed the door hard, anticipating that would alarm everyone present.•••••Zakery Bowyer, born in 1982, of Wichita was charged with unlawful use of drivers’ license, a Class A misdemeanor; interference with law enforcement, a level 8 felony; possession of methamphetamine, a level 5 drug felony; and possession of drug paraphernalia, a Class A misdemeanor.Bowyer is accused on Sept. 24 at the Kansas Star Casino of using a driver’s license issued to another person. The photo allegedly did not match the identification and when the officer asked, Boyer allegedly gave a false name in hopes that the officer would not discover he was wanted on Sedgwick County charges.Upon searching the vehicle, officers discovered Bowyer allegedly had methamphetamine and a syringe in a black backpack in the backseat of the car.•••••Coleton Hess, born in 1993, of Winfield was charged with using a cell phone to facilitate a drug sale, a level 8 felony; possession methamphetamine in a quantity of at least 1 gram but less than 3.5 grams with intent to distribute, a level 3 drug felony; and possession narcotics, a level 5 drug felony.Hess is accused on Sept. 29, of sending and receiving text messages where he agreed to sell an eight-ball of meth for $275 at Casey’s in Wellington.When apprehended, Hess allegedly possessed 3.5 grams of meth in a Crown Royal bag in the car.He also allegedly had several hydrocodone pills which were not in a prescription bottle not issued to Hess.•••••William Wisely, born in 1945, of Conway Springs was charged with illegal parking, a traffic infraction; and assault, a Class C misdemeanor.Wisely is accused on Aug. 19 stopping his vehicle in the middle of the right lane in the 100 block of North 8th in Conway Springs, blocking traffic and got out to confront an individual who was in the vehicle behind him.He allegedly yelled at the other driver stating “I should beat the ___ out of you” and “I’d like to catch you out in the county because you won’t come back.”•••••Richard Brown, born in 1978, of Conway Springs was charged with domestic violence, a Class B misdemeanor; criminal threat, a level 9 felony; and aggravated endangering a child, a level 9 felony.Brown is accused on Sept. 20, of backhanding a household member in the face several times causing bleeding and bruising. He then allegedly used profanity on the woman stating if she didn’t shut up, “I’ll hit you even harder.”Brown is also accused of driving a vehicle during the incident with two children in the backseat. Allegedly, he was driving recklessly while hitting their mother in the car as they tried to shield their mother from his blows and he was trying to pass a semi truck.His court deposition is set for Nov. 6.•••••Ernesto Lopez of Wichita was charged with aggravated endangering of a child, a level 9 felony; driving under the influence, a level B misdemeanor; refusal of PBT, a traffic infraction; failure to maintain one lane, a traffic infraction; child with no seat belt, an infraction; seat belt not being fastened, an unclassified misdemeanor; driving without a valid license, a Class B misdemeanor; and defective brake lights, a traffic infraction.last_img read more

Read more