Miami condo craze returns as developers look to seize the moment

first_img Share via Shortlink condo marketdowntown MiamiPMGrelated groupTerra Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink Message* Tagscenter_img A rendering of Baccarat Miami (Credit: ArX Solutions)With half the business elite seemingly moving to Miami, South Florida’s residential developers are betting that migration momentum will overcome even the market’s significant supply glut.   They’re launching major condo towers set to bring thousands of new luxury units to the area, citing the spillover from booming single-family sales. That’s despite persistent questions about whether the market is deep enough to absorb all the high-end product being built. Miami-based Related, often the first developer to kick-start a new condo cycle, teased its Baccarat-branded, three-tower luxury condo and hotel project in Brickell. Details leaked of E11even Hotel & Residences, PMG and E11even Partners’ proposed condo and hotel tower near downtown Miami. Next, PMG plans to launch the 100-story Waldorf Astoria Residences Miami, a skyscraper that would resemble a stack of cubes in downtown Miami. ADVERTISEMENTThough inventory of single-family homes, especially luxury waterfront properties, is tight, there’s still an oversupply of condos. “Anyone out there who’s reading all these stories, and reading the news and announcements, they should know they’re not crazy — the crazy ones are the developers,” said Peter Zalewski, a condo consultant and investor. “If you look at just basic supply and demand, there is still an oversupply of condominiums. There’s still concerns about living in a high-density situation, and there’s serious questions about the presales that need to be achieved.”As of early March, Miami Beach had a 29-month supply of luxury condos, defined as units asking $1 million and up, according to an analysis of MLS data by Zalewski’s Condo Vultures Realty. That’s based on an inventory of 550 units as of March 6, and average sales of 19 units per month in 2020. Plus, even as people move to Florida, others may be moving out. A report from Atlas Van Lines, tracking the interstate migration of household goods, found that in 2020 inbound migration totaled 3,856 households, while outbound migration totaled 3,216 households. And though a lot of the recent arrivals have touted South Florida’s amazing winter weather, they may be in for a rude awakening once they face the region’s humid summers and hurricane threats. Brand powerAmong the most notable projects to come is Baccarat, with three buildings planned for 444 Brickell Avenue in Miami. Related, led by Jorge Pérez and his son, Jon Paul Pérez, launched the first phase earlier this year. The 75-story condo tower is expected to have more than 300 units and 40 riverfront villas priced in the $800 per-square-foot range.Related acquired the property in 2013 for $104 million, and planned to build a project called One Brickell on the site, but never launched sales. The first tower will feature Baccarat chandeliers, aged French oak floors, an art collection and interiors that are a mashup of 18th century Paris and 21st century Miami, according to Related. The younger Pérez, Related’s president, said the developer sold much of its remaining inventory at Park Grove (a Coconut Grove development with Terra), Residences by Armani/Casa (a Sunny Isles Beach project with Dezer Development), and Hyde Beach House, during the pandemic. “You started reading about single-family homes being sold, and we started seeing that [trend] in our existing projects,” he said. “Even with launching Solemar [a boutique condo building planned for Pompano Beach] in the middle of the pandemic, we already have 45 percent under contract.” The buyers are mostly domestic, hailing from the Northeast, California and Chicago, he said. The thought process is simple. Be the first developer to pick up on growing demand and launch sales. “It’s much easier to sell when it’s just you,” Pérez said. Related, which has over 1,500 condos under development statewide, is buying sites in Brickell, mid-Miami Beach, Pompano Beach and West Palm Beach. That’s in addition to land it already owns in Hillsboro Beach and in Miami’s Arts & Entertainment district, north of downtown. The latter was previously planned as Auberge Residences & Spa Miami, which was canceled when the market started to slow in 2017. Gil Dezer, president of Dezer Development,  said that out of the 60-plus units remaining for sale at Armani/Casa when the developers hosted an opening party in March 2020, just 12 sponsor units remain.“With this new demand, we’ll probably launch the majority of [our projects] this year or next,” Jon Paul Pérez said. This time it’s differentDevelopers are increasingly seeing luxury lifestyle brands as an effective way to go to market. After inking a deal with Waldorf Astoria in 2018, PMG and its partners are expected to soon launch sales of their 1,049-foot downtown Miami tower. The ultra-high-end resort Aman, owned by billionaire developer Vlad Doronin, is also planning a 23-condo, 56-key hotel development at 3425 Collins Avenue, in the Faena District of Miami Beach.The ultra-wealthy have continued to buy units at specific projects, including the Trump Group’s Estates at Acqualina. Developer Jules Trump — no relation to the former president — said the two-tower project has secured more than $375 million in sales since Christmas. Buyers, primarily with homes in the Northeast, are picking up larger units. He’s even selling three-car, air conditioned garages, marketed as “car vaults,” for up to $800,000. “When Covid hit, everything died. Until virtually July, we did nothing,” Trump said. “Then, the third quarter was very good. The fourth quarter was OK. And then it took off from January.”Terra’s David Martin, who launched sales in early 2020 and later broke ground on Mr. C Residences, a Cipriani-branded condo building in Coconut Grove, called it an “intellectual, sophisticated, educated and well-researched migration.” Terra and its partner Crescent Heights, led by developer Russell Galbut, will launch sales of condos at the mixed-use project at 500 Alton Road in Miami Beach. Developers, as they tend to do, say this cycle will be different. They cited U.S. buyers as being the biggest force in the market, as opposed to South American speculators.“You’re going to see continued demand for a local market that was never really seen before,” said the younger Perez, calling it a “permanent change.”Brokers, eager to continue the boom-time narrative, are quick to agree.“I’m hopeful we won’t have the same higher percentage of speculators we’ve had [in the past],” said Ron Shuffield, president of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices EWM Realty. Year to date, inventory of condos in Miami-Dade fell 24 percent, year-over-year, to 11,186 listings. During the same period, sales increased 31 percent, year-over-year, to nearly 3,300 closings, Shuffield said, citing MLS data. And though there’s still an oversupply of luxury units priced at more than $5 million, months of supply fell to 16 months in March from 81 months in March 2020. Inventory could also have fallen, in part, because sellers took their condos off the market when the pandemic hit, not wanting to open up their units to strangers or unable to move out during lockdown.Meanwhile, sales of luxury single-family homes have boomed. According to Shuffield, between January and March 2020, eight single-family homes sold at $5 million and up in Miami-Dade. In the same period this year, 56 such sales closed, an increase of 600 percent. Condo sales in the same price range experienced a year-over-year increase of 360 percent, to 46 closings by the second week of March. Not all developers are going big and pricey. Ugo Colombo’s CMC Group and Valerio Morabito’s Morabito Properties in early March began selling Onda, a boutique condo project in Bay Harbor Islands. It was the second small development to launch sales in the two-island town in a week. Prices at the 41-unit, eight-story development start at about $1.6 million. Morabito said there’s not enough inventory to feed demand over the next two years. Zalewski, however, is more skeptical. “I have no doubts that the friends and family will put their cash up and agree to [buy] 25 to 30 percent of the units, and agree to purchase them immediately,” he said. “I have serious doubts about the next wave of investors, representing 30 percent [of presales], putting up the cash.” Contact Katherine Kallergis Email Address* Full Name*last_img read more

Read more

Tim Sherwood explains why Man Utd will finish above Arsenal in the Premier League

first_imgAdvertisement Comment Solskjaer says Man Utd players were affected by linesman’s flagTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 5:37FullscreenSolskjaer says Man Utd players were affected by linesman’s flaghttps://metro.co.uk/video/solskjaer-says-man-utd-players-affected-linesmans-flag-2016988/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.Sherwood expects defending champions Manchester City and current Premier League leaders Liverpool to draw away from their rivals again this term.He added: ‘Frank [Lampard] is rebuilding at Chelsea. It’s a real shame but it’s a transition period for all three clubs [Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal.‘I would say, Tottenham included, come out from Man City and Liverpool and they’ve all gone the wrong way.‘No one is getting closer; it’s difficult getting closer but I think they’ve all deteriorated somewhat. It’s definitely looking like a two-horse race now.’More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 1 Oct 2019 11:30 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link461Shares Advertisementcenter_img Tim Sherwood explains why Man Utd will finish above Arsenal in the Premier League Tim Sherwood believes Manchester United will finish above Arsenal this year (Picture: Getty)Tim Sherwood has explained why he believes Manchester United will finish above Arsenal in the Premier League this season.Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Red Devils have endured a poor start to the 2019-20 campaign and find themselves tenth after seven fixtures with just nine points.Manchester United were held to a 1-1 draw by Unai Emery’s Arsenal at Old Trafford on Monday evening in a game which highlighted both teams’ struggles.Arsenal are currently fourth in the top-flight on 12 points but former Tottenham boss Sherwood expects Manchester United to finish above the Gunners this term.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityAsked which club is more likely to finish in the top four, Sherwood told talkSPORT: ‘To answer your question: I would probably say, at the death, United when they get some bodies fit.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘I’m not being biased [against Arsenal]; it’s 50/50 if I’m being honest. I wouldn’t want to put any of my pounds on it and I wouldn’t want to put your money on it.‘But I just think it might be Manchester United with the pace they have and their counter attack, and I think it might be a bit more solid with their defence.‘I think they might just edge it with what they’ve got on the counter and what they’ve got defensively. And the goalkeeper is top-drawer.’ Unai Emery speaks after Manchester United DrawTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 6:24FullscreenUnai Emery speaks after Manchester United Drawhttps://metro.co.uk/video/unai-emery-speaks-manchester-united-draw-2017004/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.last_img read more

Read more

Lennon hold champions Clarendon to 1-1 draw

first_imgWESTERN BUREAU:Clarendon College edged closer to gaining a berth in the inter-zone round of the 2015 ISSA-FLOW daCosta Cup as Group H winners, following a 1-1 draw at Lennon High yesterday.After seven matches, the defending champions are on 15 points and yet to lose a game. They are two points in front of a resurgent Edwin Allen High, while the faltering Lennon have 11 points from six matches.The Paul Davis-coached Clarendon College have racked up 30 goals and only four against to dominate the group, and with the return match against second-from-bottom Thompson Town to come on October 10, they are in pole position to be amongst the teams to participate in the cash-rich FLOW Super Cup, which will have its launch today in Montego Bay.Over in Group D, former winners Godfrey Stewart High defeated The Manning’s School 1-0 in the Savanna-la-Mar derby to jump into the lead on 11 points. Previous leaders Petersfield (10 pts) were idle and can retake the lead when they clash with Little London tomorrow.Manning’s remain third in the group with nine points and will have a tough time amassing enough points to keep either Godfrey Stewart or Petersfield from advancing.Knox College’s 1-0 win over Bellefield left Group G in a bind, as apart from leaders Holmwood, who tagged Alston 3-1 for their 14th point of the campaign, four of the remaining teams are locked on 11 points.Knox, Spalding, Alston, and Christiana are neck and neck in the race to advance – along with favourites Holmwood – from the group.last_img read more

Read more

UP Maroons fly to Serbia for training ahead of UAAP season 81

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES MOST READ In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West Fernandez warns: Watch out for Pacquiao storm that will surely hit Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew “The end goal would be one, be physically conditioned after that. Number two is get tough competition and at the same time, to gain skills that players in their caliber could teach us,” Perasol said Tuesday during the signing between nxLED and NowheretogobutUP.The Fighting Maroons, who are training out of the country for the second straight year, fly out on July 21 and return on August 5.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’With high-profile recruits bolstering their roster and unwavering of support from alumni, Perasol expects his players to perform under pressure.“It’s important that they feel the support but at the same time, they feel the pressure to deliver,” Perasol said.center_img Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award The Maroons are poised to be Final Four contenders this upcoming season as Nigerian Bright Akhuetie will be suiting up after a one-year residency. They came up short and placed fight last season. Ivan Ruiz L. Suing Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. UP Fighting Maroons during the the signing of the partnership with Nxled and NowheretogobutUP. Photo from Ivan Suing/PDI traineeUniversity of the Philippines’ men’s basketball team is set to travel to Serbia for a two-week long camp preparation for the UAAP  Season 81.UP head coach Bo Perasol is expecting tough competition in Serbia, but will not focus on the results of their tune-up games against pro teams.ADVERTISEMENT Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names View commentslast_img read more

Read more