‘We’re NEARLY safe!’ Crystal Palace boss confident his ‘unplayable’ side will beat the drop

first_imgAlan Pardew believes his “unplayable” Crystal Palace side are all-but safe from relegation after picking up their ninth win of the Premier League campaignThe Eagles secured a 2-1 away win over Stoke City thanks to goals from Glenn Murray and Wilfried Zaha, and boss Pardew believes his side need only a few more points to guarantee their place in the top flight for the second successive season.“It’s nearly safe, we probably need a couple more points but it’s the wins, nine wins this year I think will be enough so we just need to see it home now,” Pardew said following the game.“The form were in, in patches we can be unplayable. At the end of the first half, we had a golden spell and we really could have run away with the game.”Asked about his side’s future, the Eagles boss said Premier League status is all that matters for the club and hailed his men for their efforts so far this term.He added: “The most important thing is Premier League status next year forget about anything else for this football club because when we arrived we was in the relegation zone, we’ve done unbelievably well to get this point total and now it’s about seeing if we can maintain those standards.”last_img read more

Read more

OWNER OF LANDMARK LETTERKENNY HOTEL SPEAKS ABOUT ITS SAD CLOSURE

first_imgTHE OWNER of one of Donegal’s best-loved hotels has opened his heart after he was forced to shut the premises.Paul Kelly, the owner of Gleneany House Hotel in Letterkenny, said he had no choice but to close the 25 bedroom family-run business.“Today is a very sad day for the entire Kelly family and for me personally, as Gleneany House has been a major part of my life for almost 20 years, but due to very tough trading times, it is no longer economically possible to remain open. “I would like to thank everyone for supporting us down through the years, our customers, suppliers and most importantly, our loyal committed and hard working staff past and present,” he said.Gleneany House Hotel in Letterkenny has been open for the past 20 years and had enjoyed a solid reputation in hotel circles.The 25 bedroom  hotel and restaurant was located at the Port Roundabout at the entrance to the town.President of the Letterkenny Chamber of Commerce Patrick McGinley said it was a sad day when another business had gone tot he wall in the Cathedral Town. “I am very sad to hear the news because the Kelly family ran a fine hotel and were very well- respected as hard working and decent people.“But it goes to show that businesses, especially many in the service industry including hotels, restaurants and bars, are finding things very difficult at the moment,” he said.The closure of the budget hotel comes hot on the heels of another closure in the town – the Bastille Bistro on the town’s High Road which closed last week with the loss of 15 jobs.EndsOWNER OF LANDMARK LETTERKENNY HOTEL SPEAKS ABOUT ITS SAD CLOSURE was last modified: December 30th, 2010 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read more

Three England players are injury doubts for third place play-off against Belgium

first_img 1 England trio Jordan Henderson and Kyle Walker may not feature in England’s World Cup third place play-off against Belgium on Saturday.All three players sustained knocks during England’s 2-1 defeat to Croatia in the semi-finals last night and did not complete the game – with Trippier having to be carried off by medics a few minutes before the end of extra-time despite the fact manager Gareth Southgate had used all of his substitutions. This could prompt Southgate to name an experimental line-up for the clash against the Belgians – a game you can listen to live on talkSPORT.The two teams met each other earlier in the tournament in their final Group G game which saw Roberto Martinez’s men come out on top with a 1-0 win.center_img Trippier was spent at the end of the game last_img read more

Read more

Revealed: The staggering amount West Ham will pay Pellegrini if they sack him

first_img huge blow REVEALED possible standings Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT tense England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card smart causal silverware gameday cracker REVEALED Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars center_img Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures The club’s co-owners, David Gold and David Sullivan, are understood to be determined to give the Chilean time to turn things around.But with Everton, Chelsea and Manchester United up next after the international break, it will not get any easier for West Ham.And Pellegrini will come under huge pressure if they fail to get anything from those three games and remain rooted to the bottom of the table.That would be a disastrous scenario for Sullivan and Gold given they handed the former Manchester City boss a lucrative three-year contract in May to tempt him away from China, where he managed Hebei China Fortune.According to the The Times, there is no termination clause in the deal, which means West Ham could be forced to pay out £15million should they sack Pellegrini.He is one of the highest-paid bosses in the Premier League, with an annual salary of £5m which could reach £7m if certain targets are met. 1 Latest Premier League News West Ham’s decision to appoint Pellegrini was blasted by their former striker Tony Cottee on talkSPORT on Monday.Cottee insisted the club should have kept on David Moyes, who left in May after just six months in charge despite guiding the Irons to survival last season.“There was me thinking towards the end of last season ‘what we need is a third season with stability’,” Cottee told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“They needed to build on things and slowly creep forward; they needed someone to bring stability to the club. We had someone at the club, David Moyes, who could have done that. But no, the board decides to go and choose someone else.“I just don’t understand the appointment… I really don’t. I didn’t understand the appointment at the time as we should have kept David Moyes, but they made the change and we’ve got to deal with it now.” Read the full story here. no dice Manuel Pellegrini’s West Ham career has got off to a nightmare start Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? West Ham face paying out a huge sum to Manuel Pellegrini if they decide to end his reign early.The Hammers have made a woeful start to the season under their new manager, losing all four of their opening Premier League fixtures. shining Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade last_img read more

Read more

Disgust over foul mess at Donegal beach

first_imgUpdate – 17:00: The bins referenced in this report have now been cleared.Beachgoers at a popular Donegal beach have called for a major clean up of overflowing dog waste bins.Visitors to the beautiful Culdaff Beach over the Easter break were met with revolting sights at the entrance and children’s play areas. The dog waste bins were so jammed with foul-filled bags that pet owners had started to pile their waste outside and around them.Children’s Play Area at Culdaff BeachCuldaff Beach Car Park BinA local man who visited the Inishowen beach with his children yesterday said the issue is a ‘disgrace’.“I thought the first bin at the car park was disgusting, but then I walked over the beach to the kids park and it was just as bad,” he said.“This didn’t just happen over the weekend, it’s weeks of dog mess in those bins.” Children’s Play Area at Culdaff BeachThe Culdaff man said that he has contacted a number of local councillors to have the mess cleared.He added that more needs to be done to manage the waste issue: “I always take my wains for a walk on the beach. We have a wee dog ourselves and the first thing we do is pick up the bag and put it in the bin. Obviously people are good enough to use the bins, but there isn’t much point if they are in this state.”Disgust over foul mess at Donegal beach was last modified: April 30th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:culdaff beachlast_img read more

Read more

Relief as missing Derry man found safe and well

first_imgGardaí in Donegal have confirmed that missing man Aidan Baldrick (33) has been found safe and well.A widespread search took place this week to locate Mr Baldrick, who had been missing from his home in Derry since Friday 10th May.The search extended to Letterkenny after sightings of Mr Baldrick were recorded in the town on Friday evening. Gardaí reported a positive outcome to the search this Saturday afternoon: “Aidan Baldrick has been found and is safe and well. Thank you to everyone for any assistance given. Great outcome!”Relief as missing Derry man found safe and well was last modified: May 20th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read more

Outrage after UVF flag hoisted outside Donegal hotel

first_imgThere’s been widespread condemnation following the hoisting of a UVF flag outside a Co Donegal hotel.A tricolour and EU flag were removed from masts outside the Ballyliffin Town House over the weekend.One was replaced by the ‘UVF 1912’ banner in an incident branded “a pathetic stunt” by a local Inishowen councillor. A local business owner said there were “some words exchanged in a bar about politics” between a number of young men from Northern Ireland and others in a local bar.And later on Saturday evening the UVF flag was spotted on one of four masts outside the Town House.It was later removed and the tricolour and EU flags were replaced.Inishowen Sinn Fein Councillor Jack Murray said: “This was intended to offend. “I’d put it down as a very immature attempt at provocation at what is a very beautiful tourist village.“Ballyliffin welcomes people from anywhere, unionist, nationalist, Catholic, Protestant, and is known for that.”Outrage after UVF flag hoisted outside Donegal hotel was last modified: October 2nd, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read more

Liverpool ready to discuss improved deal for Raheem Sterling – report

first_imgLiverpool are ready to open contract talks with Raheem Sterling, according to the Sun on Sunday.There has been speculation that Real Madrid are interested in the Harlesden teenager, who has made an impressive start to the season and has three years remaining on his current deal at Anfield.It is claimed that a new contract is likely to take Sterling’s wages beyond the £100,000-a-week mark.Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wants to sign Seamus Coleman from Everton at the end of the season, again according to the Sun on Sunday.Mourinho is said to face competition from Manchester United, who have been linked with the 25-year-old right-back for some time.It is claimed that Chelsea see Coleman as the ideal for replacement for Branislav Ivanovic, would be willing to pay a fee of up to £20m, but that the player has told friends he would like to join United.Coleman signed a five-year contract at Goodison Park in June but there is speculation that he could look to move on if Everton do not reach the Champions League.There is also speculation that Mourinho could move to sign him because scout Mick Doherty, who was at Everton and involved in their signing of Coleman, is now employed by Chelsea and is seen as a key adviser to the manager.Ivanovic, who can play in the centre of defence, has been outstanding at right-back, where Mourinho currently also has the option of Cesar Azpilicueta.Chelsea have again been linked with a move for Everton’s England prospect Ross Barkley, this time by the Daily Star Sunday.It is claimed that Chelsea will look to sign him in the summer after Manchester City apparently backed off because the asking price is £50m.And Chelsea are considering playing at Twickenham for a season while Stamford Bridge is redeveloped, according to the Sunday Times.Meanwhile, Jermain Defoe has ‘opened the door’ to a loan move to QPR, the Sunday People say.Rangers discussed signing the former England striker from Toronto FC last month and expect to do so in January.But it is claimed that a loan move is on the cards after Defoe, who played under R’s boss Harry Redknapp at Tottenham and Portsmouth, apparently told his current club he wants to go.Meanwhile, Les Ferdinand has been tipped to take over as QPR’s academy boss following the resignation of Richard Allen. West London Sport revealed this week that Allen is leaving Rangers, who have been looking to give Loftus Road legend Ferdinand a role at the club for some time.The Mail on Sunday say Allen’s departure could pave the way for Ferdinand to return, as do the Daily Star Sunday, who say he is considering taking the role.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Read more

Shooting shuts down Paris airport

first_imgAbout 3000 people were evacuated from Orly airport in Paris after a terror suspect was shot dead early Saturday.The Guardian reported that the attacker had assaulted a patrol of three air force soldiers and tried to take a gun from one.He wrestled the officer to the floor abut she held on to her weapon.French Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said the two other soldiers then opened fire to protect their colleague and other passengers at the airport.The attacker is believed to be a radicalised Muslim who was on a security watch list, officials said.Police warned people to stay away from the airport and all flights in and out of the facility were suspended.Other passengers were unable to disembark from flights which had landed and aircraft were diverted to Charles de Gaulle airport.”We were sitting in Hall Three when all of a sudden people started running and telling us to run with them,” Ellie Guttetter, 18, from the US told the BBC. “The people running were passengers and flight attendants. It was pretty chaotic and everyone was panicking – it was scary.”The bomb squad was called in but did not find explosives.last_img read more

Read more

CHAN 2014 final line-up decided

first_img3 September 2013The 16-team field for next year’s African Nations Championship (CHAN) was confirmed after the final round of qualifying was completed on the weekend. South Africa will host the tournament from 11 January to 1 February 2014.CHAN will feature African national teams made up entirely of players from the domestic leagues of the different countries.As hosts, South Africa qualified automatically for the event. Bafana Bafana will be joined from the Southern Zone by Zimbabwe, who booked their place with a win over Zambia, and Mozambique, who defeated Angola.The other participants will be Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Mali, Ghana, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Congo, Gabon, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi, Ethiopia and Uganda.The draw for the tournament finals will take place at the Confederation of African Football’s (Caf’s) headquarters in Cairo, Egypt on 18 September.The teams will be divided into four groups of four, with the CHAN organising committee set to determine the four seeded teams based on the rankings of those countries.Matches will be played at the Cape Town and Athlone Stadiums in Cape Town, the Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein, and the Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane.“The strong determination and tenacity displayed during the gruelling qualifying stages of the tournament guarantees us that we will without a doubt experience a mouth-watering and historical CHAN 2014,” local organising committee (LOC) chairperson Mwelo Nonkonyane said in a statement on Monday.“We also want to give special congratulations to Mauritania who, for the first time in their history, have qualified for a continental cup competition.”Committee CEO Mvuzo Mbebe said he was confident that the quality of the 16 teams would encourage South Africans to rally behind the tournament.“Now that we know the teams coming next year, we encourage South Africans to unite behind this tournament and help us make it a success, as they always do when the country is tasked with hosting mega events,” Mbebe said.SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

Read more