Journalist arrested and three others on trial

first_img February 25, 2021 Find out more January 8, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist arrested and three others on trial IranMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders called today on the Iranian authorities to disclose the whereabouts of journalist Ali-Reza Jabari, who was arrested late last month, and said it was very worried because he had heart problems and may have been mistreated in jail.It also called for the release of nine other imprisoned journalists, including three – Behrooz Gheranpayeh, Hossein Ghazian and Abbas Abdi – who are currently on trial for “spying” and whose families have expressed concern about trial procedure and bad prison conditions. Iran has more journalists in jail than any other Middle Eastern country.Jabari, a translator and freelance contributor to several independent newspapers, including Adineh, was arrested at his office in Teheran on 28 December by non-uniformed individuals who took him to his home, which they searched, seizing video cassettes, books and his computer hard-drive.The next day his wife went to Adareh Amaken, a city police department considered close to the intelligence service and which has summoned many journalists for questioning in recent weeks. She was told nobody by the name of her husband had been arrested. She was given the same answer at the central police station.An interview with Jabari was published on 25 December in a Persian-language newspaper in Canada, Charvand, in which he said the country’s spiritual leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the Guide of the Islamic Revolution, wanted the crisis in Iran to get worse. Jabari, a member of the Iranian Writers’ Association, has translated many Iranian works, some of them banned, into English.Gheranpayeh, Ghazian and Abdi, journalists who also run public opinion firms and whose trial began early last month, appeared in court on 6 January. One of the country’s official news agencies, IRNA, published on 22 September last year a poll by the Ayandeh public opinion institute showing that 74.7 per cent of Iranians favoured a resumption of ties with the United States. Mehdi Abasi Rad, head of IRNA’s political desk, also appeared in court accused of “putting out false news”. Since the start of the trial, the defendants’ families have been worried by the fact that the prisoners have made confessions, often a sign of severe psychological pressure.Gheranpayeh, head of the National Institute of Public Opinion and a journalist on the now-closed newspaper Nowrooz, is in Teheran’s Evin prison and has not been allowed to see his family since his arrest on 16 October last. Until recently he was in a cell of his own but is now sharing one with Ghazian, a director of Ayandeh who also worked on Nowrooz and was arrested on 31 October. Abdi, another Ayandeh director and former editor of the now-closed daily paper Salam, who was picked up on 4 November is in a solitary cell. Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists March 18, 2021 Find out more IranMiddle East – North Africa After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists RSF_en Organisation Receive email alertscenter_img Follow the news on Iran Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 News June 9, 2021 Find out more News News to go further Help by sharing this information Newslast_img read more

Read more

Edward Hibbert Enlisted for Something Rotten! on B’way

first_img Something Rotten! Edward Hibbert will be welcomed to the Renaissance from November 10! The Broadway vet is set to take over for Peter Bartlett as Lord Clapham/Master of Justice in Something Rotten!, which is currently playing at the St. James Theatre. Bartlett will depart the production on November 8.Hibbert was most recently seen on Broadway in It Shoulda Been You; he has also appeared in Mrs. Warren’s Profession, Curtains, The Drowsy Chaperone, Noises Off, The Green Bird, Me and My Girl and Alice in Wonderland. West End credits include The Mystery of Irma Vep, Lend Me a Tenor and Twelfth Night. Hibbert’s TV and film resume credits include The Prestige, Taking Woodstock, Everyone Says I Love You, The First Wives Club, The Paper and Frasier.Directed by Casey Nicholaw, Something Rotten! features a score by Wayne Kirkpatrick and Karey Kirkpatrick and a book by Karey Kirkpatrick and John O’Farrell. Set in the 1590s, the show follows brothers Nick and Nigel Bottom, who are desperate to write a hit play but are stuck in the shadow of that Renaissance rockstar known as “The Bard.” When a local soothsayer foretells that the future of theater involves singing, dancing and acting at the same time, Nick and Nigel set out to write the world’s very first musical. But amidst the scandalous excitement of opening night, the Bottom Brothers realize that reaching the top means being true to thine own self…and all that jazz.Something Rotten! currently stars Brian d’Arcy James, Christian Borle, John Cariani, Heidi Blickenstaff, Brad Oscar, Kate Reinders, Brooks Ashmanskas, Peter Bartlett, Gerry Vichi and Michael James Scott. Related Shows View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on Jan. 1, 2017last_img read more

Read more

Wilma Mulford, 88

first_imgWilma Mulford, 88, of Dillsboro passed away Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at the Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. She was born in Elrod on July 21st, 1928, the daughter of Harley and Effie Rahe May. She was married to Jim Mulford on December 6, 1964 at Green Chapel Church in Elrod. Survivors include her husband, one son; Gary (Bonnie) Miller of Vernon, Indiana, one daughter; Bonnie Cole of Milan, one grandson; Jim (Sandy) Cole of Dillsboro and four great grandchildren; Chris, Brandi, Jamie and T.J. She was preceded in death by her parents. She was a former employee of the Big Wheel, Colonial Cottage and Deutsch Pride. Wilma also attended Washington Baptist Church. Funeral services for Wilma will be held on Saturday, January 28th at 10:30am at the Stratton-Karsteter Funeral Home in Versailles with Jack Bible officiating. Burial will be in the Washington Cemetery in Elrod. Visitation will be Friday from 5pm to 7pm. Memorials may be given to the Margaret Mary Hospice in care of the funeral home.last_img read more

Read more

SEIREMC asks residents to conserve energy

first_imgOsgood, IN—Southeastern Indiana REMC has announced A critical peak load control event that will occur from 5-8 p.m. EDT on Today. They ask everyone to please reduce energy use.A peak load is a term used in energy demand management, describing a period in which electrical power is expected to be provided for a period of time at a significantly higher than average supply level.last_img

Read more

Lynn Swann resigns as athletic director, Folt announces

first_img“Each sport has a different ebb and flow, but right now all of our fall sports are really set, they’re all going, things are going really well, things are in a really good situation,” she said. “And in a few months, we’re going to start looking to winter sports, and we’re going to be doing more recruiting and more building, so in a way this is a very good time because it allows me to select an athletics director that’s going to be the person all those new people will want to meet.” Both Folt and Roberts said they’re excited with the direction of the department. “Being on the Committee on Infractions, [has] allowed me to do is see what the cutting-edge issues are with sports today, so I can bring that information back to my colleagues at USC, and we can take actions that are going to have us be avoiding problems in the future,” Roberts said. Folt said Roberts’ experience as a student-athlete at UC Davis, understanding of collegiate athletics and legal background make him a well-qualified candidate. Folt also stated that special adviser to the president Dave Roberts, who currently serves as the NCAA’s Vice Chair of the Committee on Infractions, will fill the athletic director role in the interim. He has been the vice president of athletics compliance at the University since 2010.  Swann’s resignation comes four days after a Los Angeles Times report revealed that USC alumnus B. Wayne Hughes Sr., founder of self-storage company Public Storage and a good friend of Swann’s, donated almost $400 million to the University from 2010-15, just before Swann took over as athletic director. The article also reported that Swann was given “a seat on the corporate board of a Hughes company, American Homes 4 Rent, and directorship on the board of Hughes’ charity,” and that Hughes donated over $165,000 to Swann’s 2006 campaign for governor in Pennsylvania. Roberts told the Daily Trojan that his first step will be to talk to coaches, administrators and student-athletes in the coming weeks to find out what the department can change and improve. He said his ultimate priorities are to set things up for the next athletic director and ensure that student-athletes have the best experience possible. Folt also announced the members of a search committee that will be in charge of finding a permanent replacement. The committee is chaired by Trustee Suzanne Nora Johnson. “Lynn has been a leader on and off the field at USC for nearly five decades, and he will forever be a valued member of the Trojan family,” Folt wrote in an email to the USC community. It includes alumni representative Bill Allen, Vice President for Student Affairs Winston Crisp, Faculty Athletics Representative Alan Green, Academic Senate President Rebecca Lonergan, Provost Charles Zukoski, Board of Trustees Chairman Rick Caruso and trustees Jeff Smulyan and William McMorrow.  Folt added that the committee will include two student-athletes yet to be named. She told the Daily Trojan that she is drawing on positive experiences from including two students on her provost search committee. President Carol Folt announced Monday that Athletic Director Lynn Swann resigned from his position. Swann had served as athletic director since 2016. “I think you probably know by now that I always start from the students and think about the student-athletes,” Folt told the Daily Trojan. “And, as we look forward to the next athletic director, having that strong perspective of student-athletes is really important … I couldn’t have a person better poised to think about what are the things that an athletic department needs to be to be a great athletic department in the next year, five years, 10 years.” Swann, a former USC wide receiver, came under fire for multiple scandals in the athletic department during his tenure. His resignation comes just months after USC’s involvement in the college admissions scheme, in which the FBI found that former senior associate athletic director Donna Heinel and former water polo coach Jovan Vavic received bribes to falsely identify prospective students as recruits, and two years after the FBI arrested former men’s assistant basketball coach Tony Bland for his role in the college basketball bribery scandal. With all the problems that happened under Swann’s supervision, some were surprised at the timing of the decision. Folt said there is no single appropriate time for a dramatic overhaul due to the ever-changing nature of the athletics department. Lynn Swann served as athletic director since 2016, presiding over various athletic scandals including the Operation Varsity Blues admissions scheme. (Tal Volk/Daily Trojan) “I think the main reason I decided to [include student-athletes] is that my experience has always told me that when you can involve students in decisions that are very pertinent to them, you’re going to get a much better outcome,” Folt said. “So I’m looking for an athletic director that is really helping us build a very strong student-centered focus.” Amanda Sturges contributed to this report. “Our Athletics Department puts our student-athletes first by pursuing excellence with integrity,” Folt wrote in her announcement email. “We will build on the traditions and strengths of our exceptional athletics program.”last_img read more

Read more

Jerry West explains how Clippers landed Kawhi Leonard, Paul George

first_img“They have complete admiration for each other’s game,” West said of Leonard and George. “I try to be completely fair and honest to all the players in this league, but I honestly think they’re the best two-way players in basketball and to get them on one night is pretty remarkable. … But those players talked and I’m not so sure that maybe if Kawhi hadn’t had some influence on Paul that we would’ve been able to make a deal with Oklahoma City. Obviously, we paid a big price.”After leading the Raptors to their first title in franchise history, Leonard signed with the Clippers on a 3-year, $103 million deal with a player option in 2021-22.On the same night as Leonard’s signing, the Thunder and Los Angeles agreed to a blockbuster deal that sent George to the Clippers for guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, forward Danilo Gallinari and the Clippers’ first-round draft picks in 2022, ’24 and ’26, along with two first-round choices via Miami (2021 and ’23), and OKC obtained the right to swap first-round picks in 2023 and ’25. “I’ve never seen anything like it where players can recruit other players and so I guess that’s the modern day NBA,” West said on “The Dan Patrick Show.” “It’s just so different. Players are free to move around, agents and players contribute where they go. … It really does wonders for a franchise. It’s just hard to describe the excitement within the Clipper organization.” Related News The Clippers shocked the NBA world when they pulled off the biggest move of the offseason by not only signing Kawhi Leonard in free agency, but also trading for Paul George. Jerry West, who serves in a front-office advisory role for Los Angeles, explained his perspective of how the Clippers landed two of the league’s most-talented stars. While West admitted he had a small role in convincing Leonard to come to Los Angeles, he revealed that Leonard recruited George. Lakers free agency rumors: Los Angeles an ‘unlikely destination’ for JR Smith West went on to explain the main reason the Clippers landed both players was because they talked beforehand, adding: “The players help today” when it comes to trades and free agency signings. Bob Myers addresses Kevin Durant leaving Warriors for Nets NBA free agency news: Cavaliers waive JR Smithlast_img read more

Read more

WEST DONEGAL TO GET ITS OWN 250 SEAT CINEMA

first_imgWEST DONEGAL is about to be put firmly in the picture with the news that planning permission has been granted for a new cinema in Gaoth Dobhair.Local businessman Hugh Martin Doherty hopes to build a 250 seater cinema on the site of the Hotel Glenveagh, formerly known as The Dodge.The only cinema in the area, the Astor Cinema in Derrybeg, closed some time in the mid 1980s. There was also cinemas in other local nearby towns including Falcarragh and Dungloe but these all closed down more than 30 years ago as well.Mr Doherty hopes to create up to 20 full-time jobs when the cinema is officially open with plans to have three screens in the complex.The cinema will contain a 110 seat theatre as well as smaller 90 seater and 50 seater theatres.Mr Doherty said he hopes that cinema-goers will be munching popcorn and watching the latest blockbusters in time for Christmas. At present people from West Donegal must travel to the nearest cinema in Letterkenny to see the latest movies.EndsWEST DONEGAL TO GET ITS OWN 250 SEAT CINEMA was last modified: March 31st, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cinemadonegalpopcornlast_img read more

Read more

SIR GERRY SENDS OUT AN SOS AFTER SWAN GOES MISSING FROM RAPHOE MANSION

first_imgTV presenter and millionaire Co Donegal businessman Sir Gerry Robinson has issued an SOS after one of his rare Black Swans went missing.The bird is part of a pair of birds which the entrepreneur had specially imported for the lake of his Raphoe mansion.But one of the pair, which are supposed to be mate for life, has mysteriously vanished from the lake at plush Oakfield Park. The bird, which had its wings clipped so it could not fly away, went missing last Saturday.A spokesman for Oakfield Park said they did not know what had happened to the bird which is tame and eats out of people’s hands.They are hoping it may be in nearby fields and unable to find its way back to the lake.The bird is not native to Ireland and comes from Australia. The spokesperson added that former Granada TV boss Gerry is particularly saddened at the loss of the rare bird.“The swans are here about eight months and we were hoping they eventually would nest here.“It was a very friendly bird and would come up to people visiting here on tours and eat out of their hands.“We don’t know how it happened but it may have grown its feathers and simply flown away.“Sir Gerry really liked looking at the two birds out on the lake,” he said. SIR GERRY SENDS OUT AN SOS AFTER SWAN GOES MISSING FROM RAPHOE MANSION was last modified: May 18th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:black swanRaphoesir gerry robinsonlast_img read more

Read more