Answers needed after public radio programme pulled in suspicious manner

first_img to go further Organisation Reporters Without Borders is very concerned about alleged political interference at Portugal’s main public radio station, Antena 1, which suddenly scrapped a morning current affairs programme called Este Tempo and terminated the contracts of five of the programme’s commentators just days after one of them, Pedro Rosa Mendes, was very critical of the government on the air.“If confirmed, these actions are absolutely unacceptable,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This case highlights the urgency of the need to overhaul the method of appointing those who run the public broadcast media in Portugal and several other European Union member states, so that media independence is guaranteed. “Portugal’s state broadcaster, Rádio Televisão Portuguesa (RTP), must explain itself because questions need answering. If the decision to drop this programme had been taken ‘some time ago,’ as claimed, why did it wait to tell the commentators until the last week of their contracts? And what were the editorial grounds for this decision, because so far none has been given?”Neither RTP’s director-general nor his press office responded to Reporters Without Borders’ request for a comment.It was on 23 January that Antena 1’s news director told Este Tempo’s five commentators that their contracts would not be renewed at the end of the month and that the programme would cease to be broadcast from 30 January onwards.Mendes believes these decisions were the direct result of his 18 January commentary criticizing a special broadcast by the state TV channel RTP1 two days earlier from the Angolan capital, Luanda, in which Portugal’s parliamentary affairs minister, Miguel Relvas, also the minister in charge of the state broadcast media, took part. The broadcast, about relations between Portugal and Angola, was widely criticized as a “piece of propaganda” on behalf of Angola’s authoritarian government.RTP director-general Luís Marinho told the national media he took responsibility for the decision to scrap Este Tempo, which he said was taken “some time ago.” The decision nonetheless took all of its reporters and producers by surprise. Raquel Freire, a filmmaker who delivered a commentary every Tuesday, only learned on the eve of her last commentary.Mendes has told journalists that one of Antena 1’s news director’s told him the programme had been pulled in response to a direct request from the RTP administration, which is appointed by the government. “Luís Marinho explicitly told two Antena 1 directors that the 18 January commentary on Angola had not pleased the government and that this opinion slot was going to be eliminated.”Mendes told Reporters Without Borders that, when members of the Antena 1 administration contacted him about a technical issue regarding his contract on 20 January – two days after the broadcast of his commentary but before the announcement of the programme’s demise – they said nothing about his contract being terminated. Until then, their contracts had been renewed almost automatically every six months for the previous two years.“Doesn’t his prove that Antena 1’s decision was taken after 20 January, rather than before? “ Reporters Without Borders asked.The opposition in parliament has been pressing for an explanation from Relvas, the parliamentary affairs minister. The Media Regulatory Body meanwhile yesterday questioned Antena 1 programmes chief Rui Pêgo, news director João Barreiros and deputy news director Ricardo Alexandre (who was responsible for the morning slot).Alexandre announced today that he was relinquishing his responsibility for the morning slot. When reached by Reporters Without Borders, he refused to say why. The press freedom organisation will continue to follow this case closely.Portugal is ranked 33rd out of 179 countries in the latest Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. December 2, 2020 Find out more PortugalEurope – Central Asia June 2, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Portugal Receive email alerts RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive PortugalEurope – Central Asia Ten RSF recommendations for the European Unioncenter_img Help by sharing this information February 1, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Answers needed after public radio programme pulled in suspicious manner News News News RSF_en Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU News November 23, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read more

OCEAN CITY PRIMARY SCHOOL KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION APRIL 25, 2018 9:00AM-1:00PM & 2:30PM-4:30PM

first_imgThe Ocean City Primary School registration procedures for the 2018-2019 school year are as follows: Online Registration will open March 23, 2018. Parents are required to register online by going to http://www.oceancityschools.org and selecting Primary. We are also asking parents to pick up additional registration paperwork at the school between the school hours of 8:30am-4:00pm prior to registration day.  Parents unable to pick up a packet at the school should call the school office (399-3191 ext. 6400) to make other arrangements.Online Registration should be completed by April 16, 2018. Additional paperwork must be returned at kindergarten registration on Wednesday, April 25, 2018. A parent or legal guardian must register their children in person. Your child must be five on or before October 1, 2018 to be eligible for kindergarten.Parents who suspect their pre-school child may have special needs can get assistance from their local school district’s Child Study Team. Ocean City Schools have a Child Find Campaign to locate and provide services for children ages 3 to 21 who may have adaptive, personal-social, communication, motor or cognitive difficulties.  Your child may qualify for professional guidance, speech/language interventions and/or an educational program free of charge through the Ocean City School District.  Information is also available on how and where to obtain services for children from birth to 3 years.  For more information, please call Miss Ivory Williams, (609) 399-3191, ext. 6522.last_img read more

Read more

Jerry West explains how Clippers landed Kawhi Leonard, Paul George

first_img“They have complete admiration for each other’s game,” West said of Leonard and George. “I try to be completely fair and honest to all the players in this league, but I honestly think they’re the best two-way players in basketball and to get them on one night is pretty remarkable. … But those players talked and I’m not so sure that maybe if Kawhi hadn’t had some influence on Paul that we would’ve been able to make a deal with Oklahoma City. Obviously, we paid a big price.”After leading the Raptors to their first title in franchise history, Leonard signed with the Clippers on a 3-year, $103 million deal with a player option in 2021-22.On the same night as Leonard’s signing, the Thunder and Los Angeles agreed to a blockbuster deal that sent George to the Clippers for guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, forward Danilo Gallinari and the Clippers’ first-round draft picks in 2022, ’24 and ’26, along with two first-round choices via Miami (2021 and ’23), and OKC obtained the right to swap first-round picks in 2023 and ’25. “I’ve never seen anything like it where players can recruit other players and so I guess that’s the modern day NBA,” West said on “The Dan Patrick Show.” “It’s just so different. Players are free to move around, agents and players contribute where they go. … It really does wonders for a franchise. It’s just hard to describe the excitement within the Clipper organization.” Related News The Clippers shocked the NBA world when they pulled off the biggest move of the offseason by not only signing Kawhi Leonard in free agency, but also trading for Paul George. Jerry West, who serves in a front-office advisory role for Los Angeles, explained his perspective of how the Clippers landed two of the league’s most-talented stars. While West admitted he had a small role in convincing Leonard to come to Los Angeles, he revealed that Leonard recruited George. Lakers free agency rumors: Los Angeles an ‘unlikely destination’ for JR Smith West went on to explain the main reason the Clippers landed both players was because they talked beforehand, adding: “The players help today” when it comes to trades and free agency signings. Bob Myers addresses Kevin Durant leaving Warriors for Nets NBA free agency news: Cavaliers waive JR Smithlast_img read more

Read more