Noted journalist threatened after broadcast on political role of security services

first_img Organisation to go further Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts News PakistanAsia – Pacific June 2, 2021 Find out more December 23, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Noted journalist threatened after broadcast on political role of security services News RSF_en Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfirecenter_img January 28, 2021 Find out more News April 21, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders strongly condemns the threats received by Hamid Mir, a renowned presenter for Geo TV, on 20 December after he referred to the political role of the army in his evening programme.“Once again the physical safety of a journalist has been threatened,” the press freedom organization said.“We hail the courage of Hamid Mir in tackling a subject that is sensitive in Pakistan, namely the army’s intelligence service. We welcome the fact that the country’s highest authorities, through President Asif Ali Zardari and the interior minister, Rehman Malik, have taken the matter seriously and are ensuring the journalist’s safety.”Mir presents the political talk show Capital Talk, one of the most popular programmes on Pakistani television, five days a week. After a broadcast on the political role of the military, during which allegations of army abuses in Balochistan were discussed, he received insulting and threatening text messages on his cell phone. He has received similar messages in the past, usually from the intelligence services. According to the journalist, the threats are directly linked to his two latest programmes, which tackled the political role of the director general of the ISI military intelligence service, Ahmad Shuja Pasha. Mir said the country’s security services were behind the threats.President Zardari has already ordered an investigation. Malik has also condemned them, stating that the government would protect and ensure the safety of Mir and the entire journalistic community. A parliamentary committee has been formed, chaired by the leader of the opposition, to which the government has promised its full assistance.Pakistan is the deadliest country in the world for media workers. This year 10 journalists have been killed as a result of their work. The Khuzdar district in the south-west of the country is listed among the most dangerous places for journalists identified by Reporters Without Borders. Follow the news on Pakistan Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists PakistanAsia – Pacific Newslast_img read more

Read more

Answers needed after public radio programme pulled in suspicious manner

first_img to go further Organisation Reporters Without Borders is very concerned about alleged political interference at Portugal’s main public radio station, Antena 1, which suddenly scrapped a morning current affairs programme called Este Tempo and terminated the contracts of five of the programme’s commentators just days after one of them, Pedro Rosa Mendes, was very critical of the government on the air.“If confirmed, these actions are absolutely unacceptable,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This case highlights the urgency of the need to overhaul the method of appointing those who run the public broadcast media in Portugal and several other European Union member states, so that media independence is guaranteed. “Portugal’s state broadcaster, Rádio Televisão Portuguesa (RTP), must explain itself because questions need answering. If the decision to drop this programme had been taken ‘some time ago,’ as claimed, why did it wait to tell the commentators until the last week of their contracts? And what were the editorial grounds for this decision, because so far none has been given?”Neither RTP’s director-general nor his press office responded to Reporters Without Borders’ request for a comment.It was on 23 January that Antena 1’s news director told Este Tempo’s five commentators that their contracts would not be renewed at the end of the month and that the programme would cease to be broadcast from 30 January onwards.Mendes believes these decisions were the direct result of his 18 January commentary criticizing a special broadcast by the state TV channel RTP1 two days earlier from the Angolan capital, Luanda, in which Portugal’s parliamentary affairs minister, Miguel Relvas, also the minister in charge of the state broadcast media, took part. The broadcast, about relations between Portugal and Angola, was widely criticized as a “piece of propaganda” on behalf of Angola’s authoritarian government.RTP director-general Luís Marinho told the national media he took responsibility for the decision to scrap Este Tempo, which he said was taken “some time ago.” The decision nonetheless took all of its reporters and producers by surprise. Raquel Freire, a filmmaker who delivered a commentary every Tuesday, only learned on the eve of her last commentary.Mendes has told journalists that one of Antena 1’s news director’s told him the programme had been pulled in response to a direct request from the RTP administration, which is appointed by the government. “Luís Marinho explicitly told two Antena 1 directors that the 18 January commentary on Angola had not pleased the government and that this opinion slot was going to be eliminated.”Mendes told Reporters Without Borders that, when members of the Antena 1 administration contacted him about a technical issue regarding his contract on 20 January – two days after the broadcast of his commentary but before the announcement of the programme’s demise – they said nothing about his contract being terminated. Until then, their contracts had been renewed almost automatically every six months for the previous two years.“Doesn’t his prove that Antena 1’s decision was taken after 20 January, rather than before? “ Reporters Without Borders asked.The opposition in parliament has been pressing for an explanation from Relvas, the parliamentary affairs minister. The Media Regulatory Body meanwhile yesterday questioned Antena 1 programmes chief Rui Pêgo, news director João Barreiros and deputy news director Ricardo Alexandre (who was responsible for the morning slot).Alexandre announced today that he was relinquishing his responsibility for the morning slot. When reached by Reporters Without Borders, he refused to say why. The press freedom organisation will continue to follow this case closely.Portugal is ranked 33rd out of 179 countries in the latest Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. December 2, 2020 Find out more PortugalEurope – Central Asia June 2, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Portugal Receive email alerts RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive PortugalEurope – Central Asia Ten RSF recommendations for the European Unioncenter_img Help by sharing this information February 1, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Answers needed after public radio programme pulled in suspicious manner News News News RSF_en Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU News November 23, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Read more

Dodgers’ Will Smith struggling with “learning curve” after hot start

first_img Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season “The responsibility is on all of us,” Roberts said. “It’s more of knowing the more repetitions, innings you get with each pitcher the more familiarity, trust and confidence you get. And that works both ways. And that will enhance the rhythm of the game, execution — all that.“Yeah, we’re in a little bit of a funk as far as the starters. But I think if you look at any starting staff in baseball, we all go through it. But it’s not something that we’re not going to overcome.”Not surprisingly, Smith’s offense has come back to earth as well.Through his first 28 big-league games, Smith had a .318 average, 1.210 OPS and 12 home runs in only 102 plate appearances. But he was just 7 for his last 40 (.175) even after a two-hit game Saturday with 16 strikeouts and only one home run in his past 43 plate appearances.Saturday was Smith’s 103rd game of the season — more than he has ever played before with potentially two months still to go. Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco center_img Verdugo’s return has been pushed back until after the upcoming road trip at the earliest, leaving just 11 games in the regular season. But Roberts still believes there is time for Verdugo to get healthy and play his way back into the postseason picture.“I do right now. But certainly the calendar is not stopping,” Roberts said. “So now, you sort of do the math. The thing is we’ve just got to get Alex back to health and right now we’re just not there.”ALSORight-hander Ross Stripling will start Wednesday in Baltimore, essentially replacing Hyun-Jin Ryu in the rotation. Walker Buehler is scheduled to start Tuesday with Rich Hill expected to make his return on Thursday.UP NEXTGiants (RHP Dereck Rodriguez 3-8, 5.15 ERA) at Dodgers (LHP Julio Urias 4-3, 2.55 ERA), 1:10 p.m., SportsNet LA (where available), AM 570 LOS ANGELES — It has been a summer blockbuster featuring Will Smith.With dramatic hits filling his highlight reel, Smith has arrived in L.A. with such a flourish that the Dodgers took the rare leap of faith, handing the job of being the primary catcher on a team with World Series aspirations to a rookie.The realities of those responsibilities have settled in. With Smith starting 23 of the past 34 games, the Dodgers’ staff ERA has risen from 3.41 through the end of July to 3.63 since the start of August. The starting rotation has a 5.48 ERA over 15 games through Saturday with Smith behind the plate for 10 of those games.Dodgers manager Dave Roberts acknowledged that “There’s a learning curve” for a rookie catcher like Smith. But he declined to put responsibility on Smith for any slump the pitching staff might be experiencing. “I don’t think it’s fatigue. I don’t think it’s body fatigue,” Roberts said this week. “He’s done a great job of staying in shape, staying strong. I think on the hitting side, there’s a mechanical thing he and the hitting guys have cleaned up.”Hitting coach Robert Van Scoyoc called the mechanical adjustment “nothing significant” and called Smith’s recent slump just “the natural ups and downs” of a season.“The league is adjusting to him and he’s got to adjust back,” Van Scoyoc said. “But, I mean, he’s still been so good overall there’s so many positives. It’s just a little bit of a natural down tick which most guys are going to experience at some point.”MUNCY’S PROGRESSMax Muncy took regular swings in the batting cage Saturday (not off soft toss or flips) for the first time since suffering a fracture in his right wrist 10 days ago. Muncy said it felt “better than I expected.”Roberts said he expects Muncy to return to action Friday when the Dodgers open a series against the New York Mets at Citi Field. Muncy has his eyes on Thursday in Baltimore because the Dodgers will be able to use the DH in the interleague series there.But Muncy said, “I have to remind myself” that he took a 95-mph fastball off his right wrist just 10 days ago.VERDUGO ON HOLDAfter playing just one game as DH for rookie-level Ogden, outfielder Alex Verdugo’s rehab assignment was aborted when recurring back pain flared up again. Verdugo has returned to the Dodgers’ training complex in Arizona where he is taking only “dry swings” (no ball involved) and receiving treatment on his back.“As far as the progression, it’s kind of stagnant right now,” Roberts said.Related Articles Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Read more

Singh Brar scores wire-to-wire win in Lytham Trophy

first_img England’s Jack Singh Brar won one of golf’s big prizes when he scored a superb, wire-to-wire victory in the Lytham Trophy. He started with an outstanding two-under par 68 in brutal conditions on the first day, when the CSS at Royal Lytham & St Annes rose to 79. Then he sealed the win with a little bit of magic on his 71st hole, where he holed out of a bunker for a birdie. It put him one-ahead of the charging Charlie Strickland and a solid par at the last, where Strickland bogeyed, saw the 20-year-old safely home by two shots, and with a total of eight-over par. “It got very tight and that was the shot which won me the tournament,” said Singh Brar (Remedy Oak, Dorset), who led an impressive English performance in the championship. Strickland (Ham Manor, Sussex) was runner-up on 10-under, one ahead of Jake Burnage (Saunton, Devon). Simon Richardson (Spalding, Lincolnshire) shared fourth place and, in all, eight English golfers were among the top ten and ties. Singh Brar’s opening round was definitely the early talking point of the Lytham Trophy. On a day when half the field scored 80 or worse, he was the only player to break par, taking just 25 putts and he described it as “probably one of the best rounds of the year.” It gave him a two-shot lead and, after a second round 73, he was still tied for the lead at the halfway stage. This morning’s 72 put him out in front on his own again, four clear of Strickland and Richardson Then, said Singh Brar: “I tried to make it as hard as possible!” He dropped five shots on the front nine, with a couple of double bogeys out of nowhere. He settled down on the back nine but a look at the scoreboard told him Strickland, – who has already won the Duncan Putter and the Peter McEvoy Trophy – had birdied 15 and they were tied with three holes to play. Burnage, meanwhile was just a shot behind them. The 17th looked most unpromising for Singh Brar, who found two bunkers before holing out of the second for his crucial birdie. “It had got very tight, tighter than I wanted.” And his reaction? “I’m just glad it’s over, it was quite a stressful round of golf. But I’m chuffed with the result.”  Singh Brar has underlined his Walker Cup ambitions with this win, which follows his earlier victory in the  Hampshire Salver and his second place in the prestigious Avondale Amateur, during a successful tour of Australia at the start of the year. He has just helped England to a convincing win over Spain in the biennial mixed international. Click here for full scores Caption: Jack Singh Brar with the Lytham Trophy (Image © Dr SPJ Reid) 7 May 2017 Singh Brar scores wire-to-wire win in Lytham Trophy last_img read more

Read more