‘No Due Diligence on Hummingbird Deal’

‘No Due Diligence on Hummingbird Deal’

CATEGORIES:

first_imgNimba County District #6 Representative Dorwohn Gleekia: “I’m disappointed because our colleagues did not carefully scrutinize the process.” – Nimba Lawmaker expresses disappointmentThe House of Representatives, at 1:03 p.m. on Tuesday, March 5, concurred with the Senate to ratify the Mineral Development Agreement (MDA) between the Government of Liberia (GoL) and the Hummingbird Resources (Liberia) Incorporated.This latest development, according to Nimba County District #6 Representative Dorwohn Gleekia, “the process of the concurrence was a disappointment.”Gleekia chairs the House Committee on Peace, Religion and National Reconciliation. He informed the Daily Observer in an exclusive interview that the “The Act to Ratify the MDA between the GoL and the Hummingbird Resources (Liberia) Inc. needed due diligence by scrutinizing the details.According to the Senate’s letter to the House of Representatives, dated March 1, 2019, individual Senators approved the Hummingbird Resource Deal on Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 12:23 p.m., thus seeking the House’s timely concurrence. The Hummingbird Deal is the Senate’s Engrossed Bill #3.“I am disappointed over the process of the concurrence with the Senate on the agreement. I observed that there was not much time; no due diligence, and some of us do not know the cause of President Weah’s veto against the Hummingbird Agreement,” Rep. Gleekia said.“Last year, both Houses approved the agreement and sent it to the President for passage, but was vetoed and then, few months later, he sent the it back for passage. And then we did approve it without due diligence of dissecting the document,” he said.Rep. Gleekia’s disappointment is in agreement with Margibi Senator Oscar Cooper, Nimba Senator Prince Y. Johnson, and Senators Sando D. Johnson and J. Gbleh-bo Brown of Bomi and Maryland, respectively. They all walked out of session, and refused to vote on the bill on February 28, arguing that the bill was not also given due diligence.The Hummingbird Mineral Development agreement was previously ratified by the House of Representatives and Senate in June 2018, while President Weah vetoed it from the Senate to ratify the agreement in July 2018 on grounds that it equired an adjustment in two parts to bring a protracted benefit with mutual balance for each of the comparing parties.According to the agreement, it will yield US$250 million in direct investment to the country. It will also see development of the largest gold mine in the southeast of the country as the first major direct investment secured by the Weah’s administration.History of Hummingbird Gold PitchIn July 2015, a US$100 million gold mining agreement with Hummingbird Resources (HUM) for mining operations in Sinoe County was signed between GoL and the Company, but with the modification of the Bill and the addition of Maryland, Grand Kru and River Gee counties, there is yet to be known whether the worth of the signature of the Agreement, signed and granted as well as the mining license will remain the same.In the previous agreement, as of July 2015 and 2016, respectively, when it was submitted to the Senate, the company was to pay the government US$1.5 million signature fee once the agreement was ratified by the Legislature, and another US$1.5 million on the granting of the mining license.Hummingbird on annual basis commencing on the first anniversary of the effective date of the agreement will contribute an amount to the Social Development Fund (SDF) for the affected communities, which means those areas in which the company will do its mining, should enjoy some financial benefits. The SDF during years one and two, will amount to US$100,000; years three and four, US$150,000; years five to 10, US$200,000; and years 11 onward, US$250,000 throughout the 25-year period.The company will also pay all other taxes and duties. In keeping with GoL’s economic recovery plan, Hummingbird will give first priority to qualified Liberians for employment, help improve workers and community education and health and give preference to Liberian suppliers in terms of procurement.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) – Advertisement –last_img

LATEST POSTS

Lariba to undergo bone marrow transplant

first_imgFilipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite “Her doctors are now preparing Yanyan for her bone marrow transplant. The procedure and other medical expenses is estimated from P1.6M to P3M,” it added.READ: Rio Olympian Ian Lariba diagnosed with leukemiaFEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Lariba had been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), La Salle announced in May.The La Salle star was the first Filipino table tennis player to represent the country in the Summer Olympics. MOST READ LIVE: Sinulog 2020 Grand Parade Missile-capable frigate BRP Jose Rizal inches closer to entering PH Navy’s fleet Duterte’s ‘soft heart’ could save ABS-CBN, says election lawyer Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH Olympian Ian Lariba.Rio Olympian Ian Lariba is set to undergo a bone marrow transplant even as De La Salle continued to ask for support for the ailing athlete.“Yanyan Lariba’s recent laboratory results are encouraging and she is currently undergoing consolidation chemotherapy to sustain her improving health condition,” said DLSU Sports in a tweet.ADVERTISEMENT Malacañang open to creating Taal Commission Duterte’s ‘soft heart’ could save ABS-CBN, says election lawyer View comments IT happens: Facebook sorry for Xi Jinping’s name mistranslation End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES The 22-year-old paddler dominated the UAAP table tennis field in her five-year stint for the Green Paddlers where she became a three-time Most Valuable Player, Rookie of the Year in Season 74, and the UAAP Athlete of the Year in Seasons 77 and 78.READ: Athletes unite for ailing LaribaDLSU called on their community to extend financial assistance to Lariba and her family to “defray the cost of the expenses.”Donations can be sent through Mrs. Imelda N. Lariba by making deposits to the following savings accounts: BDO 870-007-459 and UCPB 104120046272. –Rogelio Jr Nato, INQUIRER.net internADVERTISEMENT 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Tatum, Celtics 3-0; Summer League set for tournament stagelast_img

Nambatac pleads for help from bench as Knights’ woes continue

first_imgMOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Nambatac also believes that the lack of support from the substitutes has been one of the factors why the Knights are failing to close out games down the stretch.“That’s really our problem. We always lack the finishing kick. And the lack of support is a factor because our opponents know that they have to tire us out,” he said. “For me, it’s a big thing if we can get two or three bench guys who can step up and help us, where we can get at least three to four minutes to rest.”Despite Letran’s struggles, Nambatac is keeping a positive attitude moving forward, trusting that the team and coach Jeff Napa will find a way to address this glaring issue in the games to come.“I’m positive that we’ll find a way to fix that problem. We’re down, but that shouldn’t be a reason why we should lose focus on our season. We’re struggling, but we use this as a motivation to find a way to get through this. The season is still long, so we know we have to work and double the effort for us to get back up,” he said.Letran springs back into action next Tuesday against Arellano.ADVERTISEMENT Rey Nambatac. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netRey Nambatac has pleaded for help from Letran’s bench players after the Knights side lost three of their first four games in NCAA Season 93.The latest blow was an 81-74 81-74 defeat to fierce rival San Beda where only six players from Letran contributed in scoring.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Kawhi Leonard, Clippers rally to beat Pelicans 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano ‘I’m out!’: PewDiePie releases last video before taking break from YouTube Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. center_img Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite LeBron James scores 31 points, Lakers beat Rockets For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Indian national gunned down in Camarines Sur NBA: Chauncey Billups was aware of Irving’s trade request while in interview with Cavs Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend “The opponents know that our bench is shallow compared to the other teams, so it’s easy for them to scout us because they know who’s going to contribute,” the senior guard said in Filipino on Tuesday.Most of the Knights’ offensive load have come from Nambatac, Bong Quinto, Jerrick Balanza, and JP Calvo, with big men Jeo Ambohot and Lance Vacaro churning out a few good games.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’But that hasn’t been enough for Letran so far and Nambatac knows the team has to address that issue sooner than later.“Hopefully, we get three or four players from our bench to step up because it’s going to be difficult for us go-to guys to play without getting any rest. Come second round or the crucial games, maybe that’s when we can’t help our team because of fatigue, so we really need our bench,” he said. View commentslast_img

PH duo enter semis in squash women’s doubles

first_imgLATEST STORIES The two easily ousted the Thais despite Dalida’s health issues. Dalida played with a strained right hand.The semis matchup against the hometown bets is on Tuesday, 8 p.m.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’The men’s team, however, wasn’t so fortunate as Reymark Begornia and Robert Garcia were ousted by Ong Sai Hung and Mohd Farez Izwan of Malaysia, 11-2, 11-6. 2 nabbed in Bicol drug stings Vilma Santos, Luis Manzano warn public of fake account posing as her MOST READ Teen gunned down in Masbate 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments The Filipino duo of Jemyca Aribado and Yvone Alyssa Dalida entered the women’s doubles semifinals in squash after beating the Thai tandem of Suviva Kitvijarn and Tuddaw Thamronglarp, 11-4, in the 29th Southeast Asian Games Tuesday.Aribado and Dalida, who drew a bye in the round of 16, arranged a duel with Malaysia’s Chan Yiwen and Nazihah Haris in the semis.ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Albay to send off disaster response team to Batangas National Historical team rescues Amorsolos, artifacts from Taal Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder03:24PH’s James Palicte boxing light welterweight final (HIGHLIGHTS) SEA Games: PH fencers add 1 gold, 2 silvers, 1 bronze to medal haullast_img

Del Potro stuns Federer at US Open

first_imgIt’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. A costly, catty dispute finally settled View comments Winning start LATEST STORIES Learning about the ‘Ring of Fire’ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Mayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’ Mayweather-McGregor ticket sales fall short of recordcenter_img End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The 28-year-old will once again face world number one Nadal in the semi-finals on Friday, a stunning achievement for a man who had saved two match points to beat sixth seed Dominic Thiem in the last 16.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Juan Martin del Potro, of Argentina, hits a backhand to Roger Federer, of Switzerland, during the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017, in New York. APJuan Martin del Potro sensationally gatecrashed the US Open again on Wednesday, stunning five-champion Roger Federer and shattering hopes of a first New York showdown between the Swiss legend and Rafael Nadal.The Argentine giant, who won his only Grand Slam title in the city in 2009 by beating Federer in the final after seeing off Nadal in the semis, triumphed 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (10/8), 6-4 in front of a spellbound Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd.ADVERTISEMENT End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Break new groundlast_img

Leave a Comment